• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Surround sound from TV ARC to Yamaha amp.

dib

Established Member
Hi All
Iv'e got a Panasonic Tx-50DX802b and a Yamaha DSP-AX761 Amp. I'd like to extract the 5.1 audio from the TV ARC signal to the amp via a digital connection, toslink. The amp only has hdmi 1.2a so no ARC. I am sure this isn't the first time this problem has been posed to the board, so I am asking for a solution which is automatic and effectively transparent. Other people have to use the tv, so simple is the way. Everything input is attached to the Amp, the surround is simply to allow the internal tuners, apps etc to be in true surround. I would still like the TV to behave as a stand alone unit when the amp isn't on/in use. I know this is simple but I just want to be sure I'm not barking up the wrong tree with an overly complicated solution. No I can't get away with connecting the TV to the Amp with toslink directly, too many untidy cables etc.
Thanks Dave

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Not sure I follow the bit about not being able to use Optical between the TV and the AVR - you can add in a slim Optical cable for around £20.

If you prefer to stick with just an HDMI cable and extract Digital Audio from the ARC you will require a suitable powered extractor - HD11-ARC – The Media Factory

Note that whilst your TV may support 5.1DD from its onboard tuner and streaming Apps it may not support surround sound from sources connected to the TV via HDMI - you will need to check in the User Manual.

Keeping it simple - all will be revealed once you actually hook up your kit, HDMI CEC and ARC are not always straightforward.

Joe

dib

Established Member
Not sure I follow the bit about not being able to use Optical between the TV and the AVR - you can add in a slim Optical cable for around £20.

If you prefer to stick with just an HDMI cable and extract Digital Audio from the ARC you will require a suitable powered extractor - HD11-ARC – The Media Factory

Note that whilst your TV may support 5.1DD from its onboard tuner and streaming Apps it may not support surround sound from sources connected to the TV via HDMI - you will need to check in the User Manual.

Keeping it simple - all will be revealed once you actually hook up your kit, HDMI CEC and ARC are not always straightforward.

Joe
The lack of a toslink tv to amp connection is purely aesthetic, it would require a cover to be left off on the tv rear, visible I'm afraid. I'm already getting " Do we really need all those speakers" from my wife.

dave77

Prominent Member
The lack of a toslink tv to amp connection is purely aesthetic, it would require a cover to be left off on the tv rear, visible I'm afraid. I'm already getting " Do we really need all those speakers" from my wife.

Tape the toslink wire to the HDMI cable so it looks like 1 wire :p

Other than buying a new amp I think your options are limited

What do you watch from the TV? In-built Smart TV? Terrestrial?

ChuckMountain

Distinguished Member
I don't like these new design of TVs which have some sockets sticking straight out and others flush so they can be covered. What's the point on a wall mounted TV??

As Joe and dave have said you only have 4 options

1) ARC extractor - relatively expensive and also its user experience isn't great, there are noticeable delays with ARC\CEC whilst things sync up and your TV hands control over to the Amp\Extractor. Also with an extractor I can't see how you can control the volume from the TV remote unlike a direct ARC to amp. So not exactly user friendly
2) Optical Connection - doesn't work for you
3) New Amp - more expensive and greater cost
4) Live with it as is

dib

Established Member
I think I'll try and pick up a suitable replacement amp from the classifieds on the board. Sounds like the simplest answer.
Thanks to you all for your advice.
Dave

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom