Surround sound from the tv.

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by mikeywikey, May 29, 2008.

1. mikeywikey

mikeywikey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post - so hello all - I am very much a novice at this new concept of LCD and plasma televisions! :hiya:
    I hope I've got the right forum for my query!
    My faithful old telly that has lasted me for nigh on 20 years gave up the ghost recently :( so I've replaced it with a Sony KDL-40U2000 - and as I was decorating my lounge I thought I would also treat myself to a Home Theatre system! I purchased a Sony DAV-D2260.
    I've connected the two with an HDMI cable, and all seems well when playing a DVD ... I get wonderful surround sound. However, the surround sound does not work from the television channels. My question is - do I need another cable from the TV to the Theatre system?
    I hope this question makes sense! :eek:

2. trailer

trailer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    The TV will only decode transmissions as stereo. You need to use Dolby Pro Logic for instance to get a "pseudo surround".

Only way that you will get true 5.1 surround sound from a TV channel is with a Sky box for instance through the optical out. Even then the majority of transmissions are in stereo only.

3. Jamie

Jamie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,181
    The answer is yes you do, as pointed out above you'd get DPL.
    Either a stereo cable or an optical cable will do depending on the inputs on the HT and outputs on the TV. If both are available go with the stereo leaving the optical free for if you get something else that might need it (Sky+, SkyHD, PS3 etc etc)