Surround sound from internet TV to receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GaryPSU, Feb 15, 2014.

1. GaryPSU

GaryPSU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony KDL-55EX720 TV and a Sony STR-740 AV receiver. I had to turn off HDMI sync control since it conflicts with my Harmony remote setup. As a result, the Audio Return Channel Is defeated. In order to get surround sound from internet movies, I must go through my Sony Blue Ray internet connected player. If I were to connect an optical audio cable from the TV to the receiver, would I have the same 5.1 sound choices with Internet movies from Amazon Prime, etc.? I'm asking here before trying this, because it's a pain to get to the back of my devices in the entertainment center. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,065
    If accessing the content via your TV's own inbuilt Smart TV abilities then yes, you will get the exact same audio options via an optical connection from your TV to the AV receiver as you'd expect to get from your BD player accessing the same internet content. What cannot be output from your TV is HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio, TrueHD or multichannel LPCM. None of these forms of audio can be conveyed via S/PDIF optical or via the ARC ability of HDMI.

3. GaryPSU

GaryPSU
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you!