1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround sound from 3.5mm??

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by lhough20, May 12, 2005.

1. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,
    I've been reading some of the threads re: surround sound headphones and i'm thinking of getting a pair purely for connecting to my dvd/amp and NOT my PC sound card. so i can only connect them to the 3.5mm headphone jackon the front of my dvd/amp. Is there such a set of surround sound headphones that can do this?

Also my denon 500sd has L and R audio out phono connectors on the back if this will work but will connecting to these turn off the sound from the amp?

Or should i go crazy and buy some Pioneer SE- DIR800C headphones at £300 which accept the optical out from my denon? :eek: but then would the sound from the denon speakers be muted if i connect to this output?

thanks for any help.

Lee

2. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    What you need to look for is Dolby Headphone. With out this anything you listen to will be just a downmix to stereo.

Dolby Headphone will actually create surround sound with a standard set of headphones.

3. lhough20

lhough20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    jeeze that was a fast reply! just making an edit to my post!

would the Pioneer SE- DIR800C do the trick? will these accept a stereo signal from a 3.5mm jack?

thanks

4. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,280
    Yeh those pioneers will give you a 5.1 signal if you have a 5.1 input (not one 3.5mm jack) but it seems that they convert stereo into a simulated surround sound so it sounds like the sounds are coming from around you but its not really 5.1