Surround sound for headphones through TV optical

velax1

Novice Member
Hi, I have Hifiman Sundara headset connected to my Xbox Series X controller. I would like to upgrade my set up for a better sound quality with an amplifier. I want to connect the Schiit Modi 3 + heresy (dac+amp) stack to my TV via optical and then to my headset.
The question is will that connection type be able to support XBOX spatial audio like Windows Sonic and Dolby atmos? Or I can only get those via Xbox controller connection and TV optical connection will just give me regular stereo without any virtual surround sound enhancements?
I want to know for sure before I pay 250$ for the amp and dac. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoinksy

Banned
The optical won't carry an Atmos signal. I know it's virtual you're after but I don't know of a way to pass the virtual space format to the TV then optical.

velax1

Novice Member
The optical won't carry an Atmos signal. I know it's virtual you're after but I don't know of a way to pass the virtual space format to the TV then optical.
That’s really upsetting. I guess the sound coming thru controller is not much worse than it would be thru tv optical with an amp. Thanks so much for reply

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
The Series X, One X and One will pass-through Dolby Digital via HDMI to a TV, which can then be sent on to another device to decode via the TV's Optical Out, if it has one.

I can't remember exactly how I've got mine configured for this, as I'm away from the console at the moment, but this is what I've done to allow me to continue use my trusty old Dolby Digital 5.1 Optical In headset with the Series X.

Edit: Go to Settings > General > Volume & audio output > Speaker audio
  • HDMI audio: Bitstream out
  • Bitstream format: Depends what your device supports, I'm using Dolby Digital

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: We review Dune and ask which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom