• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Surround Sound For Blu-Ray

mpotts123

Standard Member
Hoping someone can pint me in the right direction, I purcahsed a Samsung Blu-ray player before Christmas and and now looking to buy a surround sound system to use with it and my Samsung Plamsa screen.

The problem is I can't seem to find any surround sound systems to use with my blu-ray. Essentially I don't want one with a dvd player or blu-ray included as I already have this with my blu ray. Are there any systems that would just work with my existing system and if so can anyone point me in the right direction. The tall boy system is the sort of thing I am looking for.

Cheers.

StevieBuck

Sony and Onkyo I think are the only two manufacturer's which I've seen offering systems which just have speakers and a receiver/amp. Everything I've seen from Samsung has had either a Blu-ray or DVD player built-in. A quick look through the Samsung product range on their website seems to confirm that they don’t have all-in-one kits without a DVD or Blu-ray player built-in.

If you really want to keep everything Samsung, you could always buy one of these all-in-one's, ensuring it has a digital audio input which will work with your current Blu-ray player. You could continue to use the existing player and only use the new system to handle the audio. The problem though with this, is that I can't see any of the systems on the Samsung website which have an HDMI input. You'd need a sound system which has this (or multi-channel analogue inputs) in order to get HD audio from the Blu-ray player. Presumably you'd want this capability if you want the best out of your Blu-ray player?

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
The problem though with this, is that I can't see any of the systems on the Samsung website which have an HDMI input. You'd need a sound system which has this (or multi-channel analogue inputs) in order to get HD audio from the Blu-ray player. Presumably you'd want this capability if you want the best out of your Blu-ray player?

I probably wouldn't worry too much about HD audio with an all in one package at this price level.

ArticDriver

Sony and Onkyo I think are the only two manufacturer's which I've seen offering systems which just have speakers and a receiver/amp. Everything I've seen from Samsung has had either a Blu-ray or DVD player built-in. A quick look through the Samsung product range on their website seems to confirm that they don’t have all-in-one kits without a DVD or Blu-ray player built-in.

i also wanted a system without DVD/Blu-Ray so plumped for the Bose Lifestyle system........many people slate 'em but i don't want a speaker that is 4 feet tall behind my ear!!

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom