Surround sound do I need wire or is wireless fine?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by New_Guy, Feb 15, 2014.

1. New_Guy

New_Guy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Just moved into a new place and am changing the carpet. The guys who had this place before have speaker wires going under the carpet coming our at each corner of the room which they had surround sound speakers hooked up to.

My question is: should I keep these wires in place for any future surround sound I may get or would wireless speakers suffice in the future hence I should be fine removing the wires from under the carpet?

P.S. I don't currently have surround sound and never have I had it before.

Thanks.

2. TheBlueFalcon

TheBlueFalcon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    Keep the wires in place, as that will keep your options open. If you did go wireless you would still have to run a cable to each speaker to power them.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Keep the wires since it is still by far the best way to connect speakers to an AVR. Wireless systems degrade the sound quality and are not exactly wireless since either need power cables to each speaker or more normally a central receiver at the back (with associated power cable) and then speaker cables from this to the speakers.

4. lokyc

lokyc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +429
    Just make sure they're decent wires. But half-decent wire is better than wireless.

5. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,212
    Where do the existing wires run? Do they cross any High Traffic areas or do the wires run along the fringes? Further are the wires simply laying on the floor between the carpet and Subfloor, or is it some how embedded into the Subfloor?

Perhaps, you may re-run wires under the carpet, but I would not use the existing wire, rather replace it with new wire.

Placing wire under carpet can cause unnatural wear on the wire. Each time you walk on the carpet, the carpet squirms a bit under your foot, that causes unnatural wear on the insulation on the wire. Though if it is routed in no or low traffic areas, this wear is kept to a minimum.

I think a better choice might be to use a product like D-Line trunking/raceway. These can run unobtrusively along the baseboards and hide wire nicely. I'll provide a link to D-Line, but there are many brands of similar products available. Most Home and Building Supply Stores will have similar products in stock.

Home page

Decorative trunking to cover and hide cables

Trunking in the Home

Floor Trims

Where to Buy D-Line

You will notice that the Trunking can be painted and stained to blend in with any decor. Plus, the Trunking is not permanently sealed, you can access and/or change the wire at will. You can run more wire. You can break wire out an any location. Very handy stuff.

Steve/bluewizard