1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Sound confusion

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Catman, May 25, 2005.

1. Catman

Catman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have recently bought a Denon 1705 AV amplifier. I am using it with a pair of old Bang & Olufsen speaker cabinets, with 5 speakers in each. The AV amp is set for Virtual stereo, and the speakers are floor mounted and below my projector screen. I am very tempted to get a surround sound system, to use the AV amp fully.
    However, my seating position is flush to the wall opposite the screen. As the ideal position is equidistant from the front & rear speakers - would a surround system be a waste of money, or should I go for a pseudo 5.1, like the Yamaha YSP-1? :rolleyes:

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Multi channel music may be mastered with the idea of listening equidistant from all speakers but I don't think that DVD's are as that is impractical for most people.

Many of us including myself have a seating arrangement similar to that which you describe and one possible answer is to investigate bipole speakers which can go either on the rear or side walls and will probably be much more effective in your situation than "normal" speakers

3. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Get yourself a centre that tonally matches the fronts (no idea how you'd manage that) and some fairly cheap small speakers for the rear. For 5.1 with a flush rear seat, the best position is high up on the walls to the sides of the seat. See Dolby's own page on this.