• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

surround sound confirmation needed - Sony DAV-DZ260

holbrook99

hello guys, i have a ps3 and this sound system Sony DAV-DZ260 - 5.1 ch - DVD Home Cinema System i am just wondering if i have it set up correctly for optimal sound from my blu rays???? i have seen so many threads about surround sound set up lately that it has confused me a little.

i have it set up as follows:

optical cable from ps3 to sound system, ps3 bluray audio output set to optical and set to bitstream, and the sound system set to rfd-std.

please can somebody that is clued up on this system and the ps3 confirm that i do indeed have it set up correctly.

Thanks very much in advance.

paul

cols

Sounds like your ps3 settings are right - outputting bitstream over optical. Have you done your ps3 sound settings? Select optical, then auto, or just tick the dd and dts stuff (plus the 2ch pcm options which are greyed out and can't be unticked).

As for settings on your dav system, i can't help i'm afraid, but you just want it decoding whatever's sent over the optical input. You'll probably have an indicator saying "dolby digital" etc. You'll also have some soundfields to play about with. Your manual will tell you more about those. :smashin:

chrishunt501

I have this set up and just leave the amp on pro-logic 2(PL II Movie), the amp auto detects any 5.1 soundtrack (from sky HD, DVD, Blu-ray or game) and switches on its own. I find this the best set up so I dont have to keep switching for normal stereo. The amp does have an indicator on the display to show you it's all working correctly. Hope that helps.

holbrook99

I have this set up and just leave the amp on pro-logic 2(PL II Movie), the amp auto detects any 5.1 soundtrack (from sky HD, DVD, Blu-ray or game) and switches on its own. I find this the best set up so I dont have to keep switching for normal stereo. The amp does have an indicator on the display to show you it's all working correctly. Hope that helps.

the front of my amp just says "tv"?? the only connection i have going into the amp is the optical cable from the ps3......when i press menu then dec mode i have this set to rfd-std whatever that means???

luke90

the front of my amp just says "tv"?? the only connection i have going into the amp is the optical cable from the ps3......when i press menu then dec mode i have this set to rfd-std whatever that means???

I have a dz260 and a ps3 and what you have is exactly what i have mine saying. 'TV' is just the optical connection and AFD-STD is just putting through the speakers whatever the system is recieving.

Thats the best way to do it or so ive found.

If you set it to pro logic II as someone said before does this not give you pseudo surround sound as apposed to actuall 5.1?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom