Surround Sound Centre Front Speaker?

L

Longhorn

I am planning on having a 42" Plasma Above the fire place ( i know tut tut!but it looks good), i want to wire the whole room with either 5.1 or prefferably 7.1 (is there much difference in quality?), prob is that with the fireplace being below the telly i cant have a centre speaker there and dont want to have it below the plasma,

would it be possible to have 2 centre speakers either end of the chimney breast both going into the same input?

or is this just a silly idea??

:lease: :lease: :lease:

Put one under the plasma or above it, point the tweeter at the central listening possition and you'll be ok. I thik two centres either side could be a no no, but i've never tried it.

In theory, 2 centre speakers would work ok, but not from the same output...could damage your amp... unless you can find an amp that allows for 2 centres.

Another option is doing away with the centre entirely and running the setup in "phantom" mode, ie the centre channel signal goes to the front L & R speakers.
Some people swear by this method, others will throw their hands up in horror at the idea of not using a dedicated centre.

Best idea is to try it!
If you dont like the "phantom" method, you could always add a centre later.

You didn't say what type of speakers youre going for - full size or sat/sub?
If youre going for satellites, you could always get a suitable 'slimline' set and put the centre above the plasma.

Also you could get a custom install style speaker which could go into the wall, although with it being a chimely breast it might not be such a good idea. I'm sure you could mount a flastish centre speaker below the plasma, there is bound to be quite a few that have a similar design and finish.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom