Quantcast

Surround sound ceiling speakers only

andrewclarke

Novice Member
Hi,
I want to have surround sound in my bedroom would it make sense to have 4 ceiling speakers plus a centre speaker at the front. My Partner is against having 5 speakers loose dotted around the bedroom. What do you think? What are the alternatives? The walls are solid so no chance of in wall speakers
Cheers
Andrew

Gasp3621

Hi,
I want to have surround sound in my bedroom would it make sense to have 4 ceiling speakers plus a centre speaker at the front. My Partner is against having 5 speakers loose dotted around the bedroom. What do you think? What are the alternatives? The walls are solid so no chance of in wall speakers
Cheers
Andrew
You should place the front three (LCR) close to seated ear height at the front wall, definitely not on ceiling! There is many smaller satellite type speakers which she might agree on or passive soundbar under tv. You would power it normally with av-receiver just like you would have three individual speakers.

For surround channels you can go with the on-ceiling or possibly side wall high up where you can hide the wires much easier. Example small "wife friendly" Cambridge Audio Minx Min 12/22s with the brackets that let`s you angle the speakers toward listeners. Ceiling can still work for surrounds, but the side walls could offer cleaner look installation. Both placements are bit high side, but if compromise has to be made it´s better to do that with the effect channels.

gibbsy

You should place the front three (LCR) close to seated ear height at the front wall, definitely not on ceiling!
If you're lying on your back though perhaps the LCR should be at the top end of the bed just above your pillows. With the surrounds at your feet. :thumbsup:

passive soundbar under tv
This is the best, easiest and cheapest option and would get my vote in a bedroom.

andrewclarke

Novice Member
You guys are the best! Thank you so much.
I think I will go for a passive sound bar plus 2 ceiling speakers. Currently the ceiling is painted brick so we are going to put in a stud ceiling so it will be easy to put in the ceiling speakers.

I'm even thinking of putting a projector screen in that drops down through the ceiling. :)

Gasp3621

You guys are the best! Thank you so much.
I think I will go for a passive sound bar plus 2 ceiling speakers. Currently the ceiling is painted brick so we are going to put in a stud ceiling so it will be easy to put in the ceiling speakers.

I'm even thinking of putting a projector screen in that drops down through the ceiling. :)
Nice! Projector is king when you are after the most cinematic feeling in room. You just can`t beat large screen! Just need to measure how low the screen drops etc. AVForums has projector section where you can ask when the time is right as need to consider the shooting distance, which model isn´t noisy in ECO mode etc. For the screen you want tab tensioned, so not the cheapest one.

For av-receiver what you choose depends on your budget, but something like Denon X2600H at lowest. There will be new models introduced early June i would assume so it will be up to you if you wait for price drops of the 2019 models or want new model with future proofing (HDMI 2.1).

You also need subwoofer.

Where do you live, Bruxelles?

Last edited:

andrewclarke

Novice Member
Hey, we are in London atm but are moving back to BXL in June. We will be in Flagey if you know it?
We are renovating a house there and this will be the bedroom part. My partner is being really supportive in having tech all over the house but wants it to be minimalistic a in the bedroom at least.
Would you also recommend a shop where I could get come expert advice and buy at a decent price? AV Online?

Gasp3621

Hey, we are in London atm but are moving back to BXL in June. We will be in Flagey if you know it?
We are renovating a house there and this will be the bedroom part. My partner is being really supportive in having tech all over the house but wants it to be minimalistic a in the bedroom at least.
Would you also recommend a shop where I could get come expert advice and buy at a decent price? AV Online?
Not familiar with those places, googled Belgium. So you are buying the stuff from UK before moving out. Not sure how the warranty works then if something comes up.

Would be good idea to do some research before visiting any store as they often push certain stuff for people who has no idea what they are buying. You have Sevenoaks, Home AV Direct and Richer Sounds local to you at London.

For AV-receiver Denon X2600H / Yamaha RX-V685 would be low cost option. But for the sake of warranty issues in future i might consider buying it locally as you are moving out.

For subwoofer if dealing with low budget check out BK Electronics, they also have low cost shipping to Belgium (26,15£). If you buy locally then SVS is name to keep in mind.

andrewclarke

Novice Member
Thanks very much for your reply. I don't mind buying it here as I am Brish with family here so will be returning quite often.
Definately doing some thorough research before I buy.
Currently I have landed on a monitor Audio SB3 passive sound bar + 2x ceiling speakers + my Marantz 5.1 AVR. Not perfect but given the constraints I think it will sound good. What do you think?
Could I add some sonos wireless speakers for the surrounds with a sonos amp? As these are wireless and movable I think my partner would be fine with these

Gasp3621

Thanks very much for your reply. I don't mind buying it here as I am Brish with family here so will be returning quite often.
Definately doing some thorough research before I buy.
Currently I have landed on a monitor Audio SB3 passive sound bar + 2x ceiling speakers + my Marantz 5.1 AVR. Not perfect but given the constraints I think it will sound good. What do you think?
Could I add some sonos wireless speakers for the surrounds with a sonos amp? As these are wireless and movable I think my partner would be fine with these
So you already have Marantz receiver there, which model?

There is some good feedback from owners of SB3. I would assume it is also available to demo at some of those local dealers i mentioned. Please call around tomorrow if they have it so you can hear it before buying. SB4 is 100£ more and is wider placing the main l/r further which wouldn`t hurt and has extra drivers so more capable but understand if too large.

Not that familiar or intrested in Sonos as same with Bose they are bit overpriced, so if not limited to wireless then forget them. RS has some KEF exclusive model in-ceiling speakers for 199£/pair which would be great pick without breaking bank.

Again you forgot to mention subwoofer. I hope you understand that you need it cause the tiny speakers can´t produce low frequencies, so you need powered subwoofer to support the system. They start from 220£ upwards, example:

Top Bottom