Surround sound cable location query

N.A.V

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm currently renovating my room layout for my house and I'm after a bit of advice.

Would you recommend running the speaker cable for the surround sound system within the wall space and ceiling to avoid having cable runs across the room?

What cable would you recommend and any other advice on how I should go about the set-up would be appreciated.

NAV,

Cable routing depends on the specifics of your house and where you are placing your equipment.

You can go under the floor (unless it's concrete!) if that suits your speakers and equipment location. Or behind skirting boards. Or use flat cable and simply go under carpets if you like.

Your best bet is to have a think, and post your proposals, then I'm sure you will get some comments. It's a bit difficult to make suggestions otherwise. :smashin:

Cheers,
MarkP

NAV,
Or you can run it on top/ under a dado rail or above coving.. basically anything with a a lip on it....
As for getting it to the "lipped coving" (as in my case), I just used 16x16mm trunking up the corner of the wall and then painted. Pictures will be posted in 3 weeks (once its all done)
OscarP

If you put it under carpets, make sure it's away from the gripper rods.
I did this about a year ago and the carpet fitters decided to sever the speaker cables, the Barstewards.

Totally up to you but I think they're Fugly.
If the speaker cable is the usual standard stuff why not get some small trunking and paint it the same color as the walls?

You can use decoraters caulk to fill any gaps and it's barely noticable from a distance of about.....Oh 20feet ;)

The wall plate wouldnt really be on show since it would be located behind the sofa.

Opinions anyone? What speaker cable would you suggest?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom