1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround setup questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by nigelcraft, Sep 21, 2003.

1. nigelcraft

nigelcraft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive been looking at the settings on my technis sa-dx940 dolby digital av reciever,and there are certain setup options that i dont understand
    where i have to set the size and distance of speakers there are 2 other options that the manual doesnt really explain,
    one is filter which has 3 options of 100,150,or200,i havent a clue what this does and have it set on 100
    the other is dr comp,which again has 3 options of off,standard and max,the manual doesnt say anything about this and i have it set to standard
    can anyway explain what these things do please,i would be most grateful

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Sounds like filter is the cut off frequency at which the receiver redirects bass information to a subwoofer, should one be present. So, anything under 100hz is produced by the sub, while all other frequencies are produced via the other speakers. Normally, if you switch off the subwoofer in the receiver's setup menu, this option will disappear, bass being produced by any speakers set to Large. I must say that all the options are quite high. Normally sub crossovers are set to 80Hz (unless its a Yamaha, where its 90) so perhaps I'm wrong?

DR Comp is short for Dynamic Range Compression and is used for late night watching. The range of volume on DVD's can go from whisper quiet to very loud making late night film watching difficult as the rest of the street listens to all the explosions! DR Comp, therefore reduces the volume excess so that louder passages are artificially "reduced" in volume. Its a bit more technical than that, but that's what it does. The setting should normally be "Off" so that you get the full benefit of DVD sound (unless it's 2am)

Russell

3. nigelcraft

nigelcraft
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ah that makes sense,would that be then why my center speaker sounds is very quiet and i then turn up the sound and if there is an explosion it makes the house shake,should i turn it off or on more to get less boom boom and more chat if you know what i mean