Surround setup help please

bazclack

Standard Member
Im looking to spend £3-400 on a entry level system. We have an xbox, Virgin HD, Wii, dvd player which we would like to use to output to our Sammy HD TV. The dvd player is likely to be changed to bluray early 2010. Im unsure to go for a better amp or poor speakers and then replace speakers or go for a all in one system like Samsung HT-X7 from Dixons. Im not expecting the world from it but just miss the surround experience. Wires arent a problem as we have floor board which can come up in a flash and wires taken from the amp and led down.

Also, is it best to input everything to the TV via HDMI as it is now (photo for the wii) and then use an optical output for the amp and just have it set on output from the tv?

thanks in advance!

dante01

Distinguished Member
I'd suggest you connect the Wii and DVD player directly to the TV for the video and then use separate audio connections to the AV amp. If you connect video to the amp from these components then you'll need to use different video outputs other than HDMI from the amp to the TV. The Wii has no digital output anyway and only outputs analogue audio.

You'll eventually be getting a BD player so the DVD will only be there until you replace it.

I'd suggest you look at the £250 Onkyo TXSR507 and combine it with either the £200 Tannoy SFX 5.1 or £170 Onkyo SKSHT528 5.1 speaker package.

An alternative would be the £250 Yamaha RXV465 with the £230 Jamo A102HCS5 5.1 speaker package.

A slightly more expensive alternative would be the £280 Sony STRDH800. This AV amp is 7.1 as opposed to the 5.1 of the other apps mentioned. The Sony would also suit the Tannoy SFX and Onkyo speaker packages.

Last edited:

Chester

For me, I'd push your budget towards good quality speakers since they're not about to change every five minutes, unlike receivers! So if £2'500 was spent in this area, that leaves you with a grand or so to spend on a receiver.

There are so many packages to choose from, from the likes of Acoustic Energy (I'm looking at Radiance speakers across the front of my setup now), Monitor Audio, Misson, KEF, all of which would have solutions you could browse on the web and choose a local dealer to go and make some objective comparisons. Ultimately, you will need to choose. Everyone's ears are different and we all have our own preferences to sound.

As for the receiver, Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha, and others all have quality receivers in their line-up. It's worthwhile looking at the features you can get these days (DLNA, streaming radio, iPod docking, Audyssey calibration, multi-room distribution) and decide what you like the look of, and then go and have a listen paired up with your choice of speakers. The Onkyo NR807 is a good choice of power and features for about £800.

That leaves a bit of budget for cables. As you've probably read, don't get sucked into over-hyped HDMI cables unless you need to cover large distances (over 5m), but still choose reasonable quality cables. There are plenty of sponsors of AV Forums that will be able to help you choose the right cables. I personally would ensure that your speaker cables and connections do your speaker choice justice, but also don't add a 'polish' to distract you (don't add bright speaker cables to a bright speaker/amp combination!). Again, a local dealer can help you make the right choice. I use QED silver anniversary bi-ware to the fronts and swear by them, but they can be bright in some systems.

Hope this helps...

PSM1

Distinguished Member
For me, I'd push your budget towards good quality speakers since they're not about to change every five minutes, unlike receivers! So if £2'500 was spent in this area, that leaves you with a grand or so to spend on a receiver.

There are so many packages to choose from, from the likes of Acoustic Energy (I'm looking at Radiance speakers across the front of my setup now), Monitor Audio, Misson, KEF, all of which would have solutions you could browse on the web and choose a local dealer to go and make some objective comparisons. Ultimately, you will need to choose. Everyone's ears are different and we all have our own preferences to sound.

As for the receiver, Denon, Onkyo and Yamaha, and others all have quality receivers in their line-up. It's worthwhile looking at the features you can get these days (DLNA, streaming radio, iPod docking, Audyssey calibration, multi-room distribution) and decide what you like the look of, and then go and have a listen paired up with your choice of speakers. The Onkyo NR807 is a good choice of power and features for about £800.

That leaves a bit of budget for cables. As you've probably read, don't get sucked into over-hyped HDMI cables unless you need to cover large distances (over 5m), but still choose reasonable quality cables. There are plenty of sponsors of AV Forums that will be able to help you choose the right cables. I personally would ensure that your speaker cables and connections do your speaker choice justice, but also don't add a 'polish' to distract you (don't add bright speaker cables to a bright speaker/amp combination!). Again, a local dealer can help you make the right choice. I use QED silver anniversary bi-ware to the fronts and swear by them, but they can be bright in some systems.

Hope this helps...

I think you have misread the post.
I believe the budget is £300 to £400 not £3,400!!!!
If the budget is £300 to £400 then I would reiterate the advice above of the Onkyo/Sony with the Tannoy speakers. You will not get a better system for the limited budget you have.
I would steer clear of all in one system as they tend to be poor quality, hard to upgrade, have limited connectivity and ultimately cost you more.

I reread the first post after reading THAT post.:D

To answer the OP I think you should spend closer to £400, £3 is not going to get you very much.:rotfl:

bazclack

Standard Member
thanks to all. I wish I was allowed to spend £4k! Richer Sounds the best bet for looking at?

is the Onkyo TXSR307 worth looking at? Saves me a few pennies.

Last edited:
thanks to all. I wish I was allowed to spend £4k! Richer Sounds the best bet for looking at?

Dante's suggestions are all available at RS. :smashin:

If you get a choice I would choose the Sony over the Onkyo, but thats just me.;)

dante01

Distinguished Member

All the items I've listed are available from Richer Sounds apart from the Jamo speaker package. Amazon is your best bet for the Jamo speakers, but RS is probably the cheapest place to go for all the other items.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member

is the Onkyo TXSR307 worth looking at? Saves me a few pennies.

The 307 won't do HDMI audio so no HD audio from Blueray. 507 is the one to go for in the Onkyo range, which does HD audio.

Chester

How did you get to £2,500 from a £3-400 budget?

By appending the figures together! Oops.

Mate, if I were you, I'd look at spending as much of that budget on second hand speakers as you can from the classifieds here. You should be able to get a set for that. Then save up for a suitable receiver. You're probably looking at something like £200 for a second-hand Onkyo SR606, maybe a little more.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom