Question Surround set up for 13x11ft living room - B&W MT-50?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Ant1973, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Ant1973

Ant1973
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am looking to upgrade my current surround speakers, and would love some feedback on my options. My room is approx 13x11, and I have limited options to move any of the furniture / speaker placements. I've attached an image that shows the layout, and the current configuration.

I currently have 2 floorstanders as my Front L/R speakers, with smaller surround speakers positioned on the walls next to the sofa. I dont have a sub. They are old (10 year) Missions (I can't recall the exact model) but I paid about £800 for them new I think. These are driven by a Yamaha RX-V673 AV AMP, and I've used the inbuild optimiser to balance the speakers (since I know they aren't ideally positioned).

I'm considering getting a satellite and sub combo to replace this - with the B&W MT-50 package being the front runner - looking at reviews this should be good for the room size, and the satellites should be happy against a wall which they will have to be.

Usage will be roughly equal between TV/Music/Movies/Games. My only concern with a package like this is musicality - I really appreciate good music reproduction more than the surround I think, and I'll notice if there are issues with music reproduction.

So - should I stick with this? Or perhaps replace the front L/R satellites with floorstanders or bookshelf speakers (on stands)? Maybe B&W 600 series? would these integrate well with the satellites at Centre/Rear?

Any advice gratefully received!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Is the TV where the centre speaker is (box with C in I assume)? If so then I would move the front left closer to the TV since you current front sound stage is very unbalanced.
    I have always liked the little M1 speakers in the B&W set and they do punch above their size. Hard to tell if they will be adequate for music for you so try to get a demo and hear for yourself.
    If you did go for the 600 series at the front then I would also get the 600 centre to match and not use an M1. Since the centre takes about 60% of the total sound output it just will not sound right against the bigger speaker IMHO (and that is without any tonal issues).
    Also if you do like the M1s I would not get the package but would instead buy 5 M1 speakers and then get a sub from either BK Electronics or SVS as they will both sound better than the B&W one.

3. Ant1973

Ant1973
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, yes the TV is where the centre speaker is. I'd not thought of moving the left speaker closer to it... I guess I assumed a wider front set up would be better for music (maybe not). Good call re: the centre speaker - question is if I can fit a larger centre in there, but I'll have a look.

Subwoofer wise I guess I dont need anything huge so maybe something like this? Platinum P12300-SB combined with 2x685 S2s, a HTM62 for the Centre and 2xsatellites? That's about £1500 which is a bit more than the MT50 package but might be worth it...