Question Surround Question

MartinH32

I'm currently using a 5.1.2 setup and looking to add two surround side speakers (SL and SR) in the diagram so I will have a 7.1.2 setup (ignore the .2 at the moment - they are not on the diagram and are in the ceiling already).
Question though, I can't have these two new speakers at 90 degree or slightly behind seating position due to doorways. They'll be approx 18inch in front of the seating position.
Now before I purchase the new speakers would this work or sound odd. If it does work would you direct them straight forward slightly to the front or towards the listening position?

Speakers.jpg

MartinH32

That's about perfect. Play with the angle a bit but should be about right just firing across the room.
Thanks - sadly it's not something I can try until I get the speakers - then I've spent the money :eek:

Dolus

I think you are confused or it might be me. If you have a 5.1 set up and go to a 7.1 then those two additional speakers go behind you (rear surround speakers), not at the side.
7.1-speaker-setup.jpg

MartinH32

I think you are confused or it might be me. If you have a 5.1 set up and go to a 7.1 then those two additional speakers go behind you (rear surround speakers), not at the side.
7.1-speaker-setup.jpg
It's you mate ;) but thanks for replying, I may not have been clear enough. The existing speakers are already in the position 7 in the diagram but as left and right surround speakers. I'm adding speakers in position 6 which will then become left and right surround speakers meaning the ones already in position 7 will become rears if that makes sense. My query is the surrounds being slightly infront - which on this diagram are (but this diagram also assumes the prime listening position is on the edge of the seat

Dolus

I thought that is what you were going to do,( hence my remark that I might be confused :confused:)

MartinH32

I thought that is what you were going to do,( hence my remark that I might be confused :confused:)
Not as confused as me half the time. Thanks for your response :)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom