1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround query....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mervin, Sep 11, 2003.

1. Mervin

Mervin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm in the process of setting up my consoles with my AV Amp as they have been boxed since we moved house. I'm connecting a PS2 and a Gamecube to a Denon Surround Amp. I'm also gonna connect my TV upto my Amp.

To save on cables, I have thought of just connecting the TV up to the Amp and having surround for the consoles that way, as I'm only getting Pro Logic anyway.

Does this sound ok, or should I use separate channels for the consoles?

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bear in mind some PS2 games can handle DTS 5.1 sound which you can only get by connecting it up via digtal optical. Also I'd bet the DAC on your receiver is of a superior quality to that of your PS2, meaning you'll get better sound quality via a digital cable.

As for GameCube, that does Dolby Pro Logic 2 which you get via a stereo phono cable, so routing it through your TV is fine.

3. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry I think I misread your post. Does you amp do Pro Logic only, or can it do DD5.1/DTS?

4. Mervin

Mervin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for your reply. During gaming, the PS2 only produces Pro Logic. The 5.1 is produced by DVD's and during gaming cut scenes. I'm not that bothered about either, so will connecting it to my telly via scart and then the telly to the Amp still give me true good quality Pro Logic?

The amp is fully digital.

5. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not entirely true some games handle real-time DTS 5.1 (Grand Theft Auto Vice City, The Getaway, SSX Tricky, FIFA 2003 - I think). While some do DD5.1 in the cut scenes (Metal Gear Solid 2). Check to back of your game boxes, also more DTS/DD5.1 games will come out, an optical cable is only £10, might be a worhtwhile investment. :smashin:

6. NoelStar

NoelStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    there will be some problems with the consoles :hiya: