1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround processors as CD DACS?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by jookster, Feb 23, 2005.

1. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How good are Surround processors used as DAC for CD use?

Experiences , opinons?

Cheers! :thumbsup:

BTW I know I told MPK that listening is the best answer to this sort of thing but was wondering about people's experiences in this area!

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Some are very good and some are not......I know that's a bit of a broad generalisation,but I think it holds true in that for instance,whilst my Tag is pretty good,it's not comparable to either my Perpetual technologies P1A/P3A,or my more recent MF X-Dac3,and the same is also true of the AV30R,and a few other processors and receivers I've tried or heard.
    I've certainly heard far worse than the Tags as well.

I would say,in the limited time I had to listen to one,that Meridian(don't ask me which model number I have no idea,but not cheap!)are easier to listen to from the CD point of view,but so much also depends on partnering equipment,and the music you listen to.

3. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'd always go down the DAC route.
    As Alex has stated there are some good and some bad processors. I haven't heard any (what I would call) really good processors but I haven't heard Meridian processors.
    I just prefer the idea of one piece of equipment doing it's own specific job and nothing more. Purist I guess....

4. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +213
    A couple of years ago I dem'd the Naim AV2 as a DAC/Pre-amp.
    Comparing it against a CD5, and using the AV2 as a pre-amp, I really couldn't tell the difference.
    The only real drawback was that the pre-amp section of the AV2 was only really on par with a Nait 5, so clearly it would be a major limiting factor.

My guess is that a good AV processor from Linn or Meridian would be a very interesting alternative.

5. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mr Sukebe,

I don't quite understand what you mean about the pre-amp section of the AV2 being a limiting factor. How did you test it then?

6. Flimber

Flimber
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,477
    Jookster,

Do you prefer the thrill of the chase or the kill ? Cease your questions and get the Denon :)

Mike.

7. jookster

jookster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    trust u to say that Flimber, I guess you recommend the Denon over the Meridian!?!