1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround placement question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chedmaster, Mar 26, 2005.

1. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Hi guys,
    I have a pair of gale 3060B speakers in the positions as in the first attatched picture below. I am happy with them but feel the system would be more balanced if the surrounds were along side, and also i feel i hear the left surround more as the sound bounces off the left wall, whereas on the RS there is no wall to bounce off really. Would i be better off moving the speakers to a more " along side " position as in pic 2?

The thing is they would not be in line unless i put either,
    a) the RS in the alcove, where i think it would become very bassey and/or wierd cos of all the walls
    or b) both surrounds up at ceiling level, so the LS could go above the window (they would literally be touching the ceiling)

Which of these would be best, keeping it all the same, or any of the above, also if there are any opinions would you move the front speakers/tv etc to bring it in line.

Any other suggestions (including complete room move arounds) are welcome, as i am decorating (starting tomorrow) and want to get all the wires burrowed under carpet/in wall

Attached Files:

2. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    does no one have any views on this??? i feel a little let down, 58 views and no replies.

3. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +899
    Your existing setup looks good to me, very similar layout to my own.
    People have differing views on whether bipolars should be on the side walls or the rear.
    Ive gone for the rear, but I guess the only way you'll ever know is to try it!

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    With the fact that you have a rear back i would go with the second option with the speakers on the side.But like roohster2 says you can be the only person to say weather its better or not.

5. tujax

tujax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hmm... personally I prefer the pic1 setup, although I'm not very fond on 6.1 systems. But if the surrounds are dipolar (they are draw as dipolars on the pic), then the pic2 should be better.

As for the "ceiling touch", that would not be such a great deal. Speakers should be at least 5 or 10cm away from the ceiling, but specially if you can point them slightly down, it won't hurt that much.

As for the leftish sound you are having with the current setup, perhaps the most elegant way to solve it, would be to place something more on the left wall -- paintings, shelves ... -- and some amp setup to attenuate a little more the LS, I guess.

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thanks guys, tujax they are bipolars, the thing is i only use 6.1 when using xbox, and dts neo 6 (and any flagged 6.1 dvd - of which i have come across one), so the majority of the time it is 5.1. also i think where they are at the moment just looks better! since posting the thread i have turned the left surround up 1db and the right surround up 2 and it sounds much better.
    cheers