1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround Parameters

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Razumikhin, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Razumikhin

Razumikhin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Denon 2105 some days ago. Most of the operating is quite intuitive, but I'm having a hard time with some of the surround parameters. I might just be missing out on some concepts, but...

- when in NEO 6 cinema mode it should (according to the manual) be possible to set D.comp. and LFE. However, these items are not displayed on the OSD.
    - Center Image parameter is only present in NEO 6 Music (not Cinema).
    - In PL II mode Panorama Control, Dimension Control and Center Width are only present in Music mode.

Can someone explain this to me?

Best regards
    Razumikhin

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    D.Comp and LFE are only usually adjustable when the source is a Dolby Digital or DTS track. You'll only be able to adjust them in certain modes.

That's how it is. Cinema Mode has fixed parameters.

Also the same for PLII. The Cinema Mode has fixed parameters and only adjustments to the Music Mode are possible.

3. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't know the reason why the manual displays D.COMP and LFE options if they're not available in that menu. I agree it seems odd. :confused:

Edit: What Jase said above is correct.

The reason the Dolby Pro Logic II Movie and DTS Neo:6 Cinema modes do not have adjustable parameters is because they were designed for optimal decoding of surround content, so all the parameters are set to reference values and fixed. The Music modes behave quite differently and have adjustable settings so you can fine tune them to match the content to which you're listening.

4. Razumikhin

Razumikhin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, I see. Thanks for your replies. Strange that the manual shows the parameters then.

Could the reason for not implementing D.comp in NEO 6 and Pro Logic be that these don't have the same dynamic range as DTS and Dolby Digital?

5. Zacabeb

Zacabeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Partially, yes. Another reason is that Dolby Digital signals contain metadata, which includes parameters for how loud dialog is recorded, and how much of the dynamic range should be left intact, ensuring that it is as effective as possible without ruining sound quality. Other types of signal do not contain these parameters, and there dynamic range compression would be arbitrary relative to the signal and as is not applied.

Dynamic range compression may not even be applicable to all Dolby Digital tracks, but the majority of 5.1 Dolby Digital tracks support it.

Some manufacturers have started to implement dynamic compression modes of their own (such as "night mode") that can be applied to any type of signal.