1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround package for my new pioneer system

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mjhbell, May 26, 2004.

1. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Newbie here...

Just replacing my old system (Sherwood 8090 and Celestion F1's) with a new setup. I'm seeking suggestions for a 5.1/6.1 speaker package.

Just ordered a pioneer VSX-C501-S reciever and DV-565A-K DVD. (Alas the 668 was too much)

Got a budget of about £500 (not inc. cable), will be mostly used for movies, but good quality audio is a must. All sats must be wall mount and small'ish.

I have been looking at the Mission m30 cinema pack, are there any opinions on this set or other suggestions?

I have a preference for a very clear, detailed sound.

I understand the Kef 2005.2 are very good, but a bit out of my range.

Thanks in advance,

Mike.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    The Mordaunt Short Premiere system will wall, stand or shelf mount and in its Plus varient is capable of the sort of sound you're after. It sounded pretty smart with the 501 as well (tested with a 656 rather than a 565). Wall mounts are available seperately.
    Ed

3. Ian182

Ian182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    Hiya,

I too own the Pioneer VSX C501, and have paired it with the KEF 1005's. (I would have gone for the 2005's, but the spending had to end somewhere !).
    I've been very impressed with them - they seem to be a good match for each other, and are equally adept on movies and music. (to my ears anyway). The 1005's are wall mountable, though I've got mine on the KEF stands.
    I paid £400 for them from a local AV store who price matched SuperFi. Think they might have gone back up to £500 now though.........

Ian.

4. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input.

The 1005's don't seem to have the frequency range at the bottom end, so the Sub might end up doing too much.

With the Mordant's how much better are the Avants over the standard premier system?

Cheers.

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    They have a slightly more rigid cabinet and a nicer finish but sonically they are very similar. Mounts and fixtures remain exactly the same as well. Visually the maple looks better than the cherry if decor is an issue.

6. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up the Mordaunt avant premier plus from Richers. Will give some feedback when its up and run-in.

Mike.

7. SportyForty

SportyForty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Mike, if you you dont mind me asking, how much was the avant plus system from RS? Were they the cheapest and did you get any extras thrown in? Most important of all, how do they sound?

Thanks

8. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    £530 with M/S brackets thrown in for the four 302's. I have seen them a bit cheaper at petertyson.co.uk, but for convienece I just picked them up at the store, and had a chance to listen to them (although not in any proper setup).

I'm still waiting for delivery on the amp, so it may be a while till it's all up and runnin'.

Mike.

9. SportyForty

SportyForty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :thumbsup: Thanks Mike. I'll keep an eye out for the review

10. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, it took the release of a cetain Sci-Fi trilogy to finally set up my speakers, here's some feedback:

i) The first 309 Sub gave out within hours of first use (dead as a dodo), I think this was connected with the stand-by power mode, as the system was not in use at the time it failed. Richer Sounds provided a strait swap out with zero hassle, so thumbs up for them.

ii) Once all connected up to the C501 I used the auto calibration feature, which took about 3-4 minutes, and did a fair job, though the rears needed a bit more volume.

iii)The sound for movies is excellent. Strait Dolby Digital DVD sound tracks are clear and open, though the dialog can get lost a bit. The receiver does have a dialog enhance mode but in my opinion this looses too much information from the rest of the score. I am still experimenting with some of the othe enhanced audio modes of the pioneer, but the film source usually sets the mark. I have not listened with DTS yet, but I would expect a very similar experience.

iv)The power of the Sub during scenes like the final battle in LOTR: Return of the King is fantastic, I am still refining the crossover, but it can lack subtlety at higher frequencies.

v) Mid-range detail and clarity is not quite as good as my previous Celestion F1 stereo setup but I did expect that with a sub/sat system, and this as with most things is personal preference, I do like my mid-range very crisp.

vi) Music performance from standard CD is very mixed. bass light pop and electronic come through well, but modern heavy dance tracks just get noisy as the sub struggles to define low frequency melodies.

The above points sound a bit negative, but I am being very picky. Overall I am very happy, the quality of sound from the satelites is excellent. The Sub is great for those BIG movie moments. As a system primarily used for home cinema I would recommend the Mordaunts, if music is more important, a quality pair of bookshelfs would provide more satifaction.

Hope this helps.

11. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    out of interest what are you using to play your music with?

12. cool hand luke

cool hand luke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mjhbel,can you tell me the size of the room that you have the speakers set up in?

13. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a DV-565A-S (region hack'd) to provide pictures and sound and a VSX-501C-S. I haven't yet picked up any interconnects to sort the DVD-A/SACD sound, but as I don't have any SACD/DVD_A discs yet...
    Picture comes curtesy of an LG RE44SZ20RD rear pro.

Sadly I have an L-shaped lounge.

The four 302's are mounted on Mordaunt brackets high in the four corners of the room, angled down and in for a centered image. The 304C is directly under the TV, the 309 is in the corner. The lounge is 5m long and 3m wide not including the L-bit.

:nono: FYI, the second 309 has just died on me, found this thread:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143871

I found my 309 does have the old 1.6A fuse, so I'm off to maplin tomorrow.

cheers.

14. rozzar

rozzar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    sounds strange. i was very impressed with the sound of the ms302/309 combination. i suspect it's due to the '302s being mounted high up. also i would imagine the panning from ms304 to the 302s to be strange if the 304 is under the telly. i would wall mount the 304 too. also, what crossover setting do you have the 309 on? i would put it on 120-140hz as the 302s tail off around 120hz.

also, ask a stupid question, but i assume you have all speakers set as 'small' so no bass gets diverted to them?

15. mjhbell

mjhbell
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I do appreciate my speaker position is not ideal, but one of my reasons for getting a sub/sat system was so it could be 'tucked away'. I may yet reposition the 304 above the TV as the panning is noticable, but I don't find it annoying (yet). I only use the system in Stereo mode when watching Sky, so the centre is not used much anyway. I only use the system in 5.1 mode when watching DVDs.

The auto configure setup on the 501C did correctly configure speaker size, position, distance etc. I do have the cross over on the 309 set at about 120Hz, I have kept the phase inverted @ 180 (recommended for movies), but have not yet played with the notch filter.