1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround on Stereo TV?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Kootuu, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hey,

This might sound like a silly question but I am thinking of getting a Philips 28"PW6006 TV and I was wondering something concerning surround sound.

Now this TV is the basic Nicam Stereo thingy, so out of the box you cannot acheive surround. Now would it be possible to attach an Amp to the TV in the future along with speakers etc to create surround sound? Also, how does the Amp connect to the TV?

I can't do anything until I know if I can or cannot do this with the TV I have mentioned.

Oh one last thing, I assume this can playback NTSC dvd discs?

Cheers,
    Chris

2. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That TV should be NTSC compatible through the scarts, but double check on the Philips site @ www.philips.co.uk

Your receiver (amp) would connect to your DVD player via a digital cable (either coax or optical). You could also connect your TV and VCR to the receiver via phonos at the back of each.

3. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanx for the info, so basically a TV that has for example virtual dolby digital included within the TV, it means that the TV has it's own amp yea?

Secondly, after looking at the philips site I can't see anything about NTSC playback:

Comet however have some information regarding the 24" version of the same model so I assume it has the same capabilities, it says this about NTSC playback:

NTSC playback/ compatible Yes Will play back NTSC sources.

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/297_771342.html

Philips site isn't much help...should I trust Comet?

4. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Only the one which powers the TV's own speakers. Not an amp in the traditional sense, no.

Virtual Dolby just alters the frequencies in the sound to make it sound like you have surround sound with just 2 speakers.

It's not all its cracked up to be and it tends to muffle dialogue.

Philips site is very helpful. Click the link you pasted again and look top right - there is a leaflet and an owner's manual. What more could you need? ;) Download and have a look. I'd put money on it being NTSC compatible though.

5. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Just had a look at the second flyer again and I've spotted this:

Video Playback: NTSC 4.43/3.58

That's under the heading: Reception

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Owners manual, bottom of page 12:

:)

EDIT - You've found it in the leaflet too :)

7. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanx for the help =)

What are those Red, Yellow and White cables called again? Say I had to set up my DVD player using those on the side of the set, that'll play NTSC discs 2 right?

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RCA cables (3 RCA to 3 RCA, basically just 3 phonos either end). Yellow carries the video signal, the other two carry the audio.

The side of the set appears to have a composite video and an S-Video connection.

I would highly recommend you use the Scart connections at the back of the set and switch your DVD player to output an RGB signal (if possible, you'll need to use the RGB-capable Scart - there's only one on this set). If your DVD player can't output an RGB signal, then use an S-Video signal through the Scart.

Those side connections are not NTSC compatible according to the owner's manual. Also, S-Video can look pretty good, but avoid the composite video connection for DVD completely - the image will be terrible.

9. Kootuu

Kootuu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Gotcha, many thanks for your help :)