• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Surround music??

drunkenjoiner

Established Member
Hi all,
I have Yamaha DSP-AX763 amplifier, connected to it is a marantz CD5003 and Mordaunt Short Alumni 5.1.
My question is, can I play music through all the surround speakers (as opposed to just the front two) and if so how can this be done?

Best regards
DJ

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Your Yamaha has the option to apply Dolby ProLogic Music modes to analogue stereo inputs (your CD8003), which will result in sound coming out of the rears. Disable stereo direct mode (is disabled by default) and select Dolby ProLogic (II) Music. Your amp also has various Effects modes (sometimes written FX) that supposedly simulate the echo effects of the corresponding listening environment implied by the mode's imaginative name.

Which of the various options sounds best will depend on your taste. For full details on how, what and why, your best bet is to study the relevant sections of the manual.

binbag

Established Member
I have an AX757se and ONLY listen to music in 7 channel stereo which is accessed by pressing the STEREO button in AMP mode; one press 2ch, second press 7ch. IMO it sounds wonderful and has kept me from upgrading for fear on losing the sound.

My source is a Philips 963SA DVD player and is also hooked up for source direct multi-channel via phono cables but I prefer this DSP which comes in via optical digital and is decoded by the amp.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom