Surround: does routing through TV stop it?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nry, Dec 24, 2006.

1. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi all,

Depending on Santa being nice I am looking to buy something along the lines of the Yamaha AV59 setup based on loads of good reviews/comments, plus it matches price requirements too which is always good!

Currently I have DVD/Sky Digital/Nintendo Wii all connected to a Joytech AV Control Centre, which then connects to the RGB Scart input on my TV.

I have the second Scart socket on the TV set to output all audio so this is plugged (via co-ax) into our mini-hifi system.

If I instead plug these audio leads into the AV59, do I still retain the surround sound signal from the DVD/Sky/Wii? (Albeit the Wii outputs Pro Logic II!). If it will maintain the signal then excellent, if not, does the AV59 amp auto-switch between different inputs or is this manual?

Cheers for any replies,

nry

2. nry

nry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    So, in answer to myself, yes. Surround (5.1 at least) only works via the optical output of my DVD player, not via co-ax. I need to plug the optical output from the DVD player into the amp of the surround system.

Wii only does Dolby Pro Logic II, so this will work fine via the co-ax output of the TV. The surround amp (which does decode PLII) will then sort out the surround sound processing.