1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround cables - the same or different?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by simon1967, Apr 27, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I have the builders in my house at the moment and want to get the surround speaker cabling installed so that it is hidden in the wall and behind the coving.

The front & surround speakers have not been decided but it will be a 7.1 set up. The possibilities are M&K MPS2510 fronts / 1510 surrounds, Monitor Audio Golds or Silvers, Ruarks or something completely different. :confused:

My questions are:
    1. I have Cable Talk 3.1 biwire from my old set-up. Is this good enough for the above speakers?
    2. I may try some multi channel music so if I biwire the fronts, should I biwire the surrounds?
    3. Can I use mix and match cables so that I reuse my existing Cable Talk 3.1 for the fronts.
    4. The room is 17ft x 20ft so there will be some long runs for 4 speakers so suggestions and prices for surround cables?

Thanks all

simon

2. Sunday Ironfoot

Sunday Ironfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm just curious, but are you sure it's wise to hide away the cable so that you can't get at it in the future (in case you want to upgrade)?

3. Noodle

Noodle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you put the cable inside some tubing before it goes in the wall, then you can still upgrade. Just attach the new cable to the old, and pull it through.
    You just need to avoid any corners along the cable run. Make them rounded.

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I used fairly decent biwire cable to the main fronts, but wired the rears and centre rears with mains cable.......sounds fine..:D

Couldn't bring myself to spend the approx £350 it would have cost to match surround cables with the mains! Although to get a little 'feelgood factor' I kept all rear cables the same length.(discussed elsewhere on this forum)

5. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not that bothered about upgrading the cables because the positioning of the surround speakers will not change (unless they bring out 8/9/10.1 :eek: ). I will be at the house for at least the next 4/5 years so won't be touching the cables once they are in.

If I can put plastic tubing into the wall, I'll get the builders to do that.

Bearing in mind that the rears MAY be used for multi channel music so are using the full-range of the speakers, I don't mind getting some half-decent cables but any advice on where to go from here - more cable talk 3.1 or QED silver anniversary (been browsing through the old archives....).

Thanks again

simon

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    MPS1510 aren't biwireable but I'm not sure about the rest.

I use Silver Anniversary on my 1510's