1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surround benchmarking DVD??

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by dcguy, May 10, 2004.

1. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello. I am wondering if anyone is aware of a DVD that would help me benchmark my surroud system. In other words, the DVD would play various sounds and scenes and instruct me as to exactly what I should be hearing and how loud, etc. Is there something like this out there? I think part of my frustration with my existing system is I don't have a point of reference to know whether it is properly optimized or not. Thank you!

2. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  3. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very cool, thank you! I am very impressed with the fast and informative repsonses from this forum. :)

4. micb3rd

micb3rd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Also bear in mind you will want to pick up a SPL meter, the human ear is not good at properly detecting the loudness of sounds for acurate balancing.

5. dcguy

dcguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I would like to get an SPL meter. But I am going to buy the benchmarking DVD first and learn more, otherwise, I still would not know what to look for or how to calibrate anything with the SPL meter. Have you used one before? Did it "teach" you anything new you couldn't learn by reading or just messing with your receiver?

6. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Video Essentials is the more informative title - In fact it can be overwhelming, and navitaging the menus to get to various test tones and screens is a pig. Avia has a much more simplistic approach, but is still informative, and accessing the various patterns and tones is far more approachable.

7. Big Al

Big Al
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes - Avia has a introduction section on how to use a SPL meter.

Avia has improved my set up no end, and helped draw adulation from hardended AV installers to boot!

Big Al