1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround backs, pointing forward or at listener?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adam M, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    my suround backs are 2.5 metres apart screwed to my dvd storage cabinet.

The 3 seater settee sits almost immediately in front of the cabinet. Do I point the surround backs forward towards the main two speakers or inwards towards the settee which is less than 2.0 metres wide.

Also does it matter too much if the speakers are raised and point downwards a little? Ultimately I may have no option so its a moot point, but worth asking.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    what sort of speakers? Are they direct or di/bipolar? I have direct ones which i angle towards the listening position

ad

3. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    these are surround backs, they are m and k K4s, I have K5 tripoles on the side walls.

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    According to the manual that came with my Marantz 4300 receiver, normal (ie. non-bipolar) surround speakers should be about 1m above the listening position, pointed inwards.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry, misunderstood a bit......

In any case, I would point them at your listening spot but would also be willing to experiment

ad

6. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    oops, I think i may have confused the situation.

I am talkign about the rear centre channels, not the 5.1 but the extra 2 of the 7.1.

These are little m and k normal radiating speakers for the rear centre channel.

7. JAMBO

JAMBO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They should be pointing towards the listener. Advice I read, I think it was with my KEF's, or a THX info sheet, was that they should be as close together as possible, rather than apart.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I've seen a diagram somewhere which stated that all speakers, including fronts, should ideally be in a circle centred on the listener and pointing to the axis of that circle.

9. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    I have also seen that arrangement, on a circle. It makes sense, but...
    But I have also seen, in Dolby web site, that they should point to the center when you mostly watch (and listen to) movies alone. If you want to have a long sofa for 3 people, for example, they should be in that circle, but aligned with the sides parallel to the side walls.
    I have chosen this last option at home, and with 4 floorstanding speakers (no dipoles, or whatsoever). The result is impressive. I had always had (due to room size, before I moved) the rear speakers at both sides of the listening position, and since they are not dipoles, the sound was intrusive, not creating the right stage and "aura" that one expects. Now I felt I got a new setup, without buying anything (well, the rent is now much higher...).

10. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I think that this was for SACD which is mastered differently to DVD

11. cribeiro

cribeiro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +307
    Actually, Ian J., this brings me to something I have already asked to myself...
    What are the assumptions that they make, to master a dvd? I mean, if they assume all speakers are symmetrically positioned, then my arrangement makes sense... But if they have another "standard", then I am mistaking..
    Then again, all the formats should have the same "standard", same agreement... If Dolby assumes the speakers must me all at the same distance, and DTS masters for rear speakers being closer, then we can't have a single setup at home...

12. gusf1

gusf1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm a relative novice in all this... BUT I would say that whether 5.1 or 7.1, most receivers are able to change settings for the distance speakers are from the listening position. If you are concerned about how different standards assume you have it all setup, you should also be concerned about how the receiver manufacturer has programmed their bit of kit. In short, I think that if you are concerned about this, set it up so you think it sounds best for each one, note the details and use a Pronto or something for each setting.

I know I didn't realise that I had my back speaker settings as too far away on the receiver (although I measured it right) until I recently stuck on a Missy Elliot CD with loads of bass, but more importantly, lots of higher frequency rhythms which sounded slightly out of sync, so I changed the settings according to my naked ear, and am a lot happier with the DVD sound now too.

My advice is forget about what DTS and Dolby say, as you will also need to check how your receiver manufacturer has programmed this in. If you are happy with it this should be all that counts. :)