Surround and atmos speakers

lifeisbeautiful

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi folks-
I've a pretty good 3.1 setup with Salk LCR and PowerSound audio Sub. I'm pairing them with an Anthem MRX 720 in my living room/media room with a projector. I'm thinking of making this a 5.1.2 setup by adding 2 surround speakers and 2 Atmos ceiling speakers.
I can mount my surround speakers only just behind me as I don't have side walls on one side. And these will be wall mounted at 8'. So, I need something that faces down. For the ATMOS ceiling speakers, I cannot install in-ceiling speakers. So, they need to be mounted. They need to be as discreet as possible. But, I guess these speakers don't handle much load.
Any recommendations? Thanks!

When you want to include Immersive (Atmos) channels you have to ensure there is separation between the height of the Surround channels and the Overhead channels otherwise if you set the surrounds too high you loose the benefits of the Immersive channels.

Joe

When you want to include Immersive (Atmos) channels you have to ensure there is separation between the height of the Surround channels and the Overhead channels otherwise if you set the surrounds too high you loose the benefits of the Immersive channels.

Joe
Hi Joe-
Won't down looking speakers like the SVS Prime Elevation help for high mounted surround speakers?
Thanks.

Joe is correct. There must be a good separation between the base level speakers and the Atmos domain. Placing surrounds too high will not give the required separation needed and the surrounds and the Atmos speakers will be coming from above you. Can you not put the surrounds on stands?

Looks like I need go with the speaker stands option. My HT is in my living room with a lot of traffic. So, I need to get stands which can secure the speakers. Any recommendations? Thanks.

'I need to get stands which can secure the speakers' - pretty rare. Could you use floor-standing speakers for Surround duties? Ideally they go to the side of your seating rather than behind.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom