Surround amp with Mic input?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Art Vanderlay, Jun 2, 2003.

1. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Are there any Home Cinema amps that have a microphone input?

I am installing a surround system in a small (70 seat) lecture theatre where they also need a microphone. At the moment we are looking at having seperate systems for the PA and the DVD sound but this will mean double the amount of speakers.

An alternative would be to use a pre-amp power-amp combination and mix the microphone sound in before the power amp.

But a Cinema amp with this facility built in would be ideal.

Any ideas?

2. Branxx

Branxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think you can use any line-in ports to connect the mic.

3. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    We would need the mic input to be mixed with whatever input is selected so that the lecturer can talk over a section of a CD or DVD.

4. MrPumpkinHead

MrPumpkinHead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Might be talking out the back of my head here but how about preouts from front l/r on surround amp into a mixing desk where the mic input also goes. mixing deck to amp driving front l/r speakers.

EDIT that's just spooky

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    Do you actually need surround sound from the DVD ... or would stereo be sufficent?

If just stereo then look at a small Soundcraft or similar desk. Take the left and right from the DVD player into 2 channels, add a mic to a 3rd. Then take the output to a poweramp and on to speakers.

If you need surround, then use a processor or AV reciever, take the front pre-amps into a mixing desk along with mic input, then onto poweramps and speakers.

I don't think you'll find any AV amp with built in mixing. And anyway if you wanted to just attach a mic to an amp, you need to have a pre-amp (like a phono stage) as the mic is a lot lower level than other inputs.

Vikki

PS. something that I thought of after writing that ... if you just want stereo, and just a single microphone, I remember a few years back Denon were doing a few amps with a single microphone input with mixing that might suit you ... and probably cheeper than a small desk and power amp too. Also if you are needing full surround ... might be worth checking out the NAD as you can split the preamp/processor from the power amp so could put the mixing desk in between the two halves.

7. Art Vanderlay

Art Vanderlay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thank you for all the replies.

We do need full surround sound in the room - in fact the amp we are replacing is the Denon mentioned by sounddog with a mic mixing input.

Considered the idea of the mixers between the pre and power amp. After consulting with our installer we have decided to go for the two seperate systems route, but with in ceiling speakers for the microphone amp so we don't have visible speaker overkill.

Once I had costed out the mixer and power amp it didn't work out much different in price to having a completely independent system.

8. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    We have a lot of parties and wanted to add a karaoke facility to our main AV set up. Although we've got a small studio for work we didn't want lots of trailing wires and mixers in the lounge. In the end I picked up one of these .

Although now discontinued (I think the new price was about £300) they come up on ebay every month or two. I picked mine up last year for £80 though they often go for a bit more than that. It has 2 mic inputs with level controls and reverb. You can also change the pitch of a soundtrack through the unit. It all work very well and can be connected through a tape loop so doesn't mess the rest of the system up.

The unit was marketed more as a fancy EQ/DSP unit but those features aren't really worth bothering with. Happy to answer any questions on how it works if it will help.