1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surround-55 M&K II Tripole Placement

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Hawklan, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

I've just purchased some Surround-55 M&K II Tripoles to go with my 750 M&K II THX selects (Left, Centre and Right) and I need some help with the placement

To keep them away from my kids I have placed them higher than head height basically 4 inches or so below the ceiling - Is this OK?

My real question is - On reading the manual when you place these speakers above head hight you need to turn them upside down so that the tweeter is on the bottom. The speakers are directional and designed to be dedicated left and right (due to the tweeters firing angles). Since I have turned them upside down do I now switch the left and right around or leave them as they are?

Many thanks

Ronnie :confused:

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    Turn them upside down, switch the front grille around the right way and make sure the arrow on the back points to the screen, and you should be sorted. I have mine 4 ft from the floor, about 1 ft above hed height and they sound awsome. Enjoy:D

3. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi Phil

I'm going to sound really stupid here but if I don't ask I'm not going to have everything setup right.

Attached is a image of how I have my room setup
    The black arrows indicates the direction of the sound whereas the red arrow on the surrounds is the direction the arrow points - Is this what you mean?

Many thanks

Ronnie

Attached Files:

4. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    I know what you mean about the sound

I was watching Fifth Element last night - even without a sub in my system the sound is amazing.

I've heard about not being able to localise the sound from the rears (from the guy who sold me my Tag AV32R actually) - And he was right - You can hear the sound coming from the left / right but you can't really tell where the speaker is placed

Many thanks

Ronnie:D

5. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    Ronnie,
    I have had a look at your drawing, the only thing I would suggest if it is possible, is move them out from the back wall by a foot, or so they are central to the middle line of the sofa. You maybe getting to much reflection from the rear wall, this may make them more noticable, but then you may prefere that sound. Best advice is to experiment really.

I know WAF factor may come into it, but why not try turning your tv and fronts paralel with the wall facing down the room and then have the surounds next to the sofa psoitioned between the two doors facing the screen wall. Or will the wife kill you?

6. Hawklan

Hawklan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Hi

I can't really move the speakers further from the wall (maybe a couple of inches as I have a built in window pelmet that gets in the way

WAF factor (Whats that) ? (it must be something wife like)

I would love position my kit as you suggested- That was actually my inclination - But I have a 1½ year old little terror that spends half his day sitting on the window ledge trying to pull cables out of the back of the TV - So if I moved the TV to be under the window it would make it all to easy for him AND THEN THE MISSUS WOULD KILL ME!

Actually another question I've heard a great deal of praise for PL2 but I must admit so far with SKY Digital I don't find the rears all that notible ( so I'm not that impressed) - I know this is a bit vague - but do you have any observations on this? - It may help if I list my kit so here go's

Parasound 2205A power amp
    Tag AV32R Processor
    M&K THX select LCR amd 55 Triploes
    Arcam FMJ DV27
    Hitachi 36" Progressive TV

Many thanks

Ronnie

7. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,053
    I dont have PL2 or use my room for anything other than music and movies, no sky etc in the cinema room.

I dont know the AV32r either so unfortunetly cannot comment on your other problem, but I am sure their are some here who will be able to help with this problem.