Surround (5.1) signal from PC (SPDIF/COAX) to Receiver wirelessly or over lan.

Edxactly

Novice Member
I feel like this would be a common enough thing that some reasonable device(s) would exist for it.

I'm trying to send the 5.1 digital audio from my PC to my receiver.

I'm trying to find a transmit/receive device pair which I could use to send the signal.
2.4ghz similar to headphones/APTX of over LAN via Wifi or ethernet connection to router/hubs.

I can find lots of converters easy enough.
But I can't find anything that will actually send/receiver a data stream that will work.
Blutooth simply doesn't seem possible for anything more than stereo L/R.

next010

Distinguished Member
Google Chromecast or AppleTV plus Airparrot will send video and audio in 5.1 from PC to the TV.

Wireless optical is very uncommon, there are wireless HDMI senders might work but most of them are PCM 2.0 (stereo) only.

Audio lag could be an issue with using any kind of wireless system.

Edxactly

Novice Member
I'm not tied to SPDIF. Just any valid 5.1 format. I can peel out an HDMI,Display port, Coax, 6 wire pairs, etc. Just no way I can find to transmit the signal wirelessly , or even over lan with 2 device and maintain 5.1.

I also have a projector so I was thinking of doing an HDMI transmit to both receiver and project, and on receiver using a converter from hdmi to pull out the audio - but that just get's ridiculously costly for trying to send 5.1 across a 10 foot space...

next010

Distinguished Member
If LAN is an option there are HDMI over ethernet extenders that can do 4K video and 5.1 audio (requires dedicated ethernet cable cannot piggy back network).

One of the wireless HDMI transmitters probably does 5.1 but you have to dig through the product specifications to find one.

Edxactly

Novice Member
I meant over tcp/ip or udp. Like steaming.
Just seems odd
There is no “sound card” that can put out some sort audio data stream for networks.

jimscreechy

I don't think the sound card is the problem since most PC's quite happily give you the digital stream from either SPDIF or HDMI etc. I think the issue is getting that into a wireless stream that is 5.1 capable, then received and demux'd at the other end to... whatever input you have on your receiver.

Bluetooth is out since doesn't support 5.1, so your left with wireless... an hdmi to wireless extender.... is there such a thing? I suppose it could be done with the HDMI over ethernet extenders proposed above, then bridging between to access points. May be a bit laggy though, and expensive, AND fiddly.

Edxactly

Novice Member
Yep. That’s what I meant . Just my dumb opinion but there or so many things that steam full blown surfing over IP ,(TCP or UDP), that it seems crazy there isn’t a simple device that can convert digital output to a stream and back to digital, on your home network . Seems like it would be super handy for people .

jimscreechy

The other option is HDMI over ethernet (we know those converters exist) then running over Powerline adaptors. Since your Receiver definitely needs power you could easily have a powerline adaptor and the HDMI converter connected that way. Does away with the wireless and is more likely to be straight forward.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom