1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surprising Panasonic Shop Story

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by WillC, Oct 28, 2005.

1. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Today I went into my local Panasonic shop. Presumably it is an independent dealership who just happens to have the Panasonic license.

Anyway, I explained I was looking to buy a TH37PE50 but that I was planning to buy it online (letsgodigital.co.uk) as their price would be tough to beat. However, I just wanted to see the TV in person first. As suspected, the price for the TV alone was £2,200 (approximately) in the Panasonic shop. The shop owner said the cabinet stand was an extra £400.

I wasn't too shocked by this, but I did say to him "do you realise that I can get the TV, cabinet stand and a Panasonic DVD recorder from a website for £1,325?". He seemed amazed (and doubtful) and so loaded up his laptop to take a look.

Needless to say, he soon found out I was telling the truth.

"Well, erm, yes, that's a very good price right there," he stuttered, "erm, I tell you what, we'll do the same deal for £1,500?".

What?! He just dropped his price from £2,600 down to £1,500 and was also willing to throw in a DVD recorder! This makes a total mockery of their original price. Obviously I was impressed by his generous price cut offer, but I still told him I'd be getting it off the internet - afterall, why should I pay £200 more just to get it from a local dealer?

He said it gives me peace of mind in case it becomes faulty or incase letsgodigital.co.uk becomes extinct. Still, that's not worth £200 in my opinion.

So in short, I'm simply amazed at how much he was willing to cut his price. I've a good mind to go back tomorrow and say "look, I'll do it for £1,375 - i.e. £50 more than the website price. You've already proven you're willing to cut your prices massively. Take it or leave it."

Any thoughts on this? I'm pretty amazed by it all.

2. madshi

madshi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Personally, I'd be willing to pay a bit more in a local shop, if I had the feeling that the shop would react well, in case I run into trouble with the stuff I bought there. Probably I'd even pay those £1,500.

How about this: You could tell the shop you accept the £1,500 deal, if they let you cherry pick your plasma in the shop before delivery (e.g. check there are no stuck/dead pixel etc). That way the higher price would have a direct advantage for you!

3. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Agree with madshi, buy the cabinet stand even if you only use it to wheel it back to the shop if it goes wrong!

4. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't really think I can justify spending £200 more just to get it from a local dealer when I can get the exact same package for less elsewhere and get it delivered to my door the next day.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    I think you may be over estimating the resources of most online retailers and by your own admission went into the dealer to view a product ie use his time (wages) space (rent) electricity and stock (depreciates) but had no intention of buying from him and even tho he offered to do his best to match the price you still want to go online??? why not ask the dealer to deliver and set up ie build the stand etc and go for £1500 that way you should get more service if it goes wrong, ie loan TV if it has to be repaired and value added services like poeple to walk in and speak to about any issues...........

6. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    im surprised he didnt tell you to go away when you said you'd buy online, and more surprised he offered you such a good deal

7. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sadly, while I view myself as a nice person, I will not buy from the local dealer simply because I used ten pence of his electricity and ten minutes of his time while viewing the plasma TV!

From what many users of this forum have told me, letsgodigital.co.uk offer reliable next day delivery. I'm not too concerned about them - I've only heard good things.

Also, I actually asked the man in the Panasonic shop if his price included delivery and installation. He said he could deliver it but not install it - which is exactly the same as letsgodigital.co.uk.

So what it comes down to is this: do I really want to pay an extra £200 just for a bit of peace of mind? I'm not at all certain that I do. Presumably letsgodigital.co.uk would offer some kind of service in the event that my plasma became faulty.

I'm happy to pay an extra £50 or so to get it locally, but not an extra £200.

If the man in the shop was a nice block perhaps, but he wasn't, so yeah!

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    far too many dealers will just give you a list of horror stories to try and to scare you off the internet....... this dealer at least seems willing to try and compete and no chance of a loan set from letsgodigital

9. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Blimey, this thread has quickly turned against me. I thought you guys would be on my side; afterall, I've read numerous posts suggesting going to see the plasma in person before buying. I also wanted some advice on a hi-fi while I was there, which I might buy from them.

Given that there was nobody else in the shop and they looked bored senseless I hardly think they minded chatting to me for 5 minutes.

As for this so called "good deal", yes, it was a good deal considering he originally wanted a ridiculous £2,800 just for the plasma and stand! But it still isn't a great deal in comparison to the websites.

10. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i wasnt turning against you, but you were brutally honest with him. at least say "ill go home and think about it" then buy it online, dont tell him you just want a free demo!

11. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, I was inaccurate in my first post. Upon leaving the shop I didn't tell him I'd still be buying it off the internet. I politely told him I'd give his offer some thought (which I have been), but I hinted that £200 was too big of a difference for me because I'm already over-stretching myself.

What do you think of my idea of going back in there and saying I'd do it for perhaps £1,400? Worth a try perhaps.

12. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yeah try it, or try and get something thrown in for free like a portable dvd player for the car. do they make them?!

13. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Lets go digital are a very reputable online dealer and shop. They actually have their own high street Panasonic shops! I have bought two plasmas from them and on both occasions I ordered them late on Friday and both turned up with a friendly courier 9am Sat for free. I have always had a good experience with them and don't know of anyone who has had a bad one. I’m not in to killing off local businesses, but I too do not like throwing my hard earned cash unless I’m getting something for it.

14. George a L

George a L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    I cant Believe no one picked this mistake up, TH37PE50 Has never been that price in its life, the above model now retails everywhere @ £1499.99 Including stand & the product u looked @ is THE 500 WHICH IS £2199.99 plus floorstand @ £499.99, so would research a little better.

15. WillC

WillC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So the shop owner is offering me a PV500, floor stand and DVD recorder for £1,500?! Bargain!! :thumbsup: :smashin:

...or do you think he just wrongly priced up the TH37PE50? :thumbsdow

16. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    I wouldn't be so sure it was a mistake, the panny shops are hugely more expensive than anywhere else on their advertised prices.