surprised by 3D TV

njdbaxter

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Called in Currys today to have a look at some electrical equipment.

sat on the couch infront of a 47 inch 3D TV showing the Olympics, wasnt a top of the range TV (£900 PRICE TAG), Put on the glasses and it looked amazing.

what also made it good is that no one tried to sell me anything, actually first time i was able to browse without being trailed by some inept employee :D

Last edited:
Look at 3d on a Panasonic then!! You will be amazed how much better they are!!!!

What's the best 42" Panasonic inthis price range (£: give or take)

Yeah, the Olympics is great 3D demo fodder!

I don't really know why 3D has had such a bad press. I guess people think it's all going to be things popping out of the screen, but it's really just a much greater sense of depth. In the Opening Ceremony the 3D made it seem much more like you were in the stadium due to this depth.

The only negative is that I can get a bit nauseous if I watch too much of it or watch it when I'm really tired, but I wouldn't buy a non-3D TV now.

Try a decent 3D bluray as the Olympics is not full HD...

Graham27 said:
I don't really know why 3D has had such a bad press.

Because it's a technology the public didn't want or ask for, it was forced on us by TV manufacturers desperately trying to make us buy new sets.
And in requiring glasses, it's deeply flawed.
I don't know anyone with a 3D set, it really hasn't caught on at all, as far as I'm concerned.
I've also noticed 3D football in pubs is ignored, people stick with the 2D HD sets.

Last edited:
Because it's a technology the public didn't want or ask for, it was forced on us by TV manufacturers desperately trying to make us buy new sets.
I don't know anyone with a 3D set, it really hasn't caught on at all, as far as I'm concerned.
I've also noticed 3D football in pubs is ignored, people stick with the 2D HD sets.

Thank you, I've also heard that 3D is once again flopping in cinemas - that may explain why Dark Knight Rises was 2D, being the biggest movie of the year. :thumbsup:

DIE 3D! :mad:

Might have a look at the Olympics in 3D later then, i've had my 3DTV for over a year and have used the glasses twice.

Edit: Nope, still a gimmick and the glasses are back in the box.

Last edited:
Or, maybe, you're taking it a little too seriously? Unless, of course, two big blokes came to your house and threatened to break your legs unless you bought a 3DTV?

I was going to debate it, but if no-one you know has it, it must be a waste of time. Anecdotal evidence is always the best argument. But then, if Foebane agreed with you, surely that's an automatic fail.

Hmmm. Maybe it could just be that different people have different opinions?

Or, maybe, you're taking it a little too seriously? Unless, of course, two big blokes came to your house and threatened to break your legs unless you bought a 3DTV?

I was going to debate it, but if no-one you know has it, it must be a waste of time. Anecdotal evidence is always the best argument. But then, if Foebane agreed with you, surely that's an automatic fail.

Hmmm. Maybe it could just be that different people have different opinions?

in which case your arguement is no more or less valid than his..... :suicide:

Personally, i think £D is an utter waster until it comes without the glasses and stupid film makers stop trying to come up with ever more "clever" ways of making a random flying object come out the screen at us...:lesson:

Graham27 said:
I was going to debate it, but if no-one you know has it, it must be a waste of time. Anecdotal evidence is always the argument ?

Given that these people are technophiles usually more than willing to embrace new technology, I would say their/my lack of interest in 3D says a lot.

If you like it and can afford it, buy it.

I might consider it one day, but certainly not until you don't have to wear glasses.

eob said:
I needed a new telly quick and opted for :
Buy PANASONIC TX-P42XT50B | 42" SMART 3D VIERA PLASMA TV - Plasma TVs | Comet

The price was more of a driver than the 3D but we watched the opening ceremony in 3D as the Beeb were broadcasting it in 3D and wow!
The 2D -> 3D conveetion works really good too and me and the boy watch a program called "How the Universe works" in 3D and its awesome.
I'm a convert!

I clicked through to this link, added the tv to checkout and it automatically added extra 3D glasses, as in the promotion.

BUT. The glasses added are Samsung ones. Did yours come with Samsung ones?

I have the 2011 VT50 I think it is. But my grandparents have a brand new Samsung 3D and the glasses in the checkout are the ones he has. I think the Samsung glasses are sooo much better than mine by an absolute mile. Will they work with my Panny do you think?
Cheers

I clicked through to this link, added the tv to checkout and it automatically added extra 3D glasses, as in the promotion.

BUT. The glasses added are Samsung ones. Did yours come with Samsung ones?

I have the 2011 VT50 I think it is. But my grandparents have a brand new Samsung 3D and the glasses in the checkout are the ones he has. I think the Samsung glasses are sooo much better than mine by an absolute mile. Will they work with my Panny do you think?
Cheers

Yes, the active Samsung glasses work with this TV and they are only £14 a pair. The Panasonic ones are £40 - £50:eek:

3D doesn't intrest me but tried it in a shop and was impressed.Thing is after about 5 minutes it makes me feel ill :(

Just like the PS3 with BR Drive.

Haven't got a 3D TV but a friend has, apretty decent LG model with active glasses. I seen quite a bit of it and I have mixed opinions.

Generally, sport is done very well. Animation fims are also pretty good.

But some of the other stuff drama and documentaries can be quite mediocre and make me feel a bit uncomfortable watching it.

Cheers,

Nigel

I've seen a lot of what I fell isn't really '3D' but more a sort of 'layering'.

Also, I always feel synthetic animations seem to give a very much better 3D result than can the filming of regular activities with natural people and natural settings. This latter is when I seem to see the 'layering'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom