surprise endings that arent

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, May 19, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have watched and loved films since I can remember, and lets face it, they usually follow a similar pattern. So the so called surprise endings to "the crying game" "the usual suspects" and "the sixth sense" were all blatently obvious to me early on.
    Although "seven" and "the others" caught me out.
    Am i just an old cynic or are the public so gullible?
    What "surprise endings" have caught you out and which did you see coming a mile off?

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,843
    Yes just seen Arlington Road,(Spoiler if you taped it) and knew Jeff Bridges was carrying the bomb and blamed for it.

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Unfortunately some endings are still changed after the first demo screenings to suit the expectations of the audience - and therefore might differ from the actual book or intention of the director.
    Thus they become pretty much predictable and similar to each other.

IMHO a shame that there aren't more movies without a happy end. :rolleyes:

4. alan8477

alan8477

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Guess I'm one of the 'gullible public'. The ending to Sixth Sense hit me like an express train from nowhere. Usual Suspects got me as well. Crying game was obvious, not met anyone who did not agree.

Mind you, I did work out that Shrek would get the princess!

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i must admit that i had worked out the twist in the sixth sense before i saw the film.
    a review i read said something like" bruce willis plays a psychiatrist treating a boy who can see dead people and there is a surprise ending"
    now i doesnt take a genius to work it out. so maybe the fact that critics are alerting us to the fact that there is a "surprise ending" is making us look for them more than we would normally.
    as for shrek, well i am not a fan of animated films but wow it was great, and my daughter told me the surprise before i got the disc out of the box

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mcmullanbrush,

How can you get caught out by The Others and yet you predicted the ending to the Sixth Sense? :confused:

Which one did you see first?

7. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i suppose it must be me squirrel, i saw the sixth sense first and it seemed so obvious, also a lot was made of the surprise ending in the reviews.
    the others was not obvious at all to me, and the reviews i read didnt seem to go on about the twist as much, maybe i am getting less cynical or maybe i am so fed up with guessing the endings i am trying not to think about it

8. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I kept reading reviews that compared The Others to the Sixth Sense :( B*stards eh?! I'm going to stop reading reviews! :mad:

Must admit though, didn't quite expect The Others to end in the *exact* way that it did :)

The Sixth Sense *was* obvious - mainly because when Bruce Willis is shot, nothing is made about his recovery. That's a dead giveaway in my book (please excuse the pun :D)

For the record, I thought Fight Club ended nicely - I didn't see that coming until the very last minute :)

By far though, the most predictable endings are by David Lynch - you *always* know that you won't know what the hell the film was about anyway until a few months/years afterwards :D