Surgery needs your help!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by tolkien_76, Apr 30, 2007.

1. tolkien_76

tolkien_76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All

We are in need of a new video camera as the last one (a JVC) was taken apart by an irate GP, desperate to get the tape back that it stubbornly refused to give up..

Our budget is around £500 but that could be a negotiable feast.. what we need:

Wide picture - as need to get GP & Patient in without them being too friendly.
    Excellent sound - (preferably one with an external mic but I believe they are harder to find than dragons teeth!)
    Most importantly - we have to transfer the recordings to VHS tape (although we are trying to get them to accept DVD's!) so we absolutely must have the data and time stamp transfered across. A practice not far from us bought a new camera only to find the date and time stamp, although showing on the camera, wouldn't transfer to VHS tape!
    we have both DV & Hi-8 recorders here so not bothered what we use although it would be nice to cut down on consumables...ie tapes

So, does anyone have some suggestions I could check out pls...:lease:

TIA :thumbsup:

2. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The only way you can transfer the date and time is to capture via analogue to a VHS recorder not DVD, most camcorders will do that if the info display is on ( enabled) during recording
    To this end any Good MiniDV camcorder can do that

For which Examples will come shortly but with models from the "names" Canon, Sony and Panasonic.. you wont go wrong

There are some utilities
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=515860
    which may help but I'm not sure of how it meets your need

External Microphone jacks should not be rare for £500.. just ensure it is there

I'm aware of the video recording component of GP registrar training ( I've helped out a few times) and think that with DVDs, getting a constant ( not one off) stamp is very hard, if at all possible

But to reiterate : most will transfer to VHS tape:you can see this if you monitor the output while recording

If you look through the numerous "which camcorder...." threads and get a few on a short-list , Redsox_Mark or someone with some experience of that model will advice further

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    As senu said date/timestamp on the video can be done by analogue output (which to VHS is what you would use anyway). You could also output to DVD with date/time that way (e.g. take the analogue output into a DVD recorder). It is when editing the material digitally that the time display goes away (but can be recreated in software).

Panasonic GS300 is discontinued, but you can still find them and they have an external mic input. They shoot widescreen... you might also want to add a wide angle converter to the lens.

Good price on the GS300 here, but they are awaiting stock

http://www.ukdigitalcameras.co.uk/prod.asp?i=3404&srccode=cii_18510613&cpncode=07-25177262-2

4. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Ha.. Just in the nick of time!!:rotfl:

5. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Yea, you beat me this time..... :)

6. tolkien_76

tolkien_76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks All

I'll have a nosey about the site.. On the subject of external Mics, we spoke to several well know electronic retailers who all said most non-professional camcorders don't come with external mic jacks as they all have internal microphones!? To get ones which do we would need to spend upwards of £1000 - too expensive for us i'm afraid..

thanks again..

7. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    On the subject of external Mics, we spoke to several well know electronic retailers who all said most non-professional camcorders don't come with external mic jacks as they all have internal microphones!? To get ones which do we would need to spend upwards of £1000

Only partially true.

What is true is that it is a minority of models (at least consumer models) which have an external mic jack. And it also true that these are getting more rare - e.g. the Panasonic GS300 has one, it's replacement (GS320) does not.

But there are some models which do... the cheapest of which is sub £200, the Canon MD101.

8. tolkien_76

tolkien_76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mark

Canon MD101 - I saw this on another thread here... seems incredibly cheap, just wondering what the picture quality is like. The problem we have is trying to get everyone into the shot, whilst not sitting on top of each other, and close enough to the mic to get decent sound...but far enough away to fit in the picture...aargh!!

the panny NV-400 seems to have everything we need, widescreen, mic input - just got to find someone who stocks it for a reasonable price!

9. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    The Canon MD101 picture quality isn't as good as the Panasonic GS300/400/500, but for the money it's decent... especially if the lighting is good.

Why the GS400 over the GS300? GS400 is very good but it is an older model... the GS300 has just been replaced; whilst the GS400 was replaced by the GS500 over a year ago.

10. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    As for getting everybody in it, that would be a function of its widest Focal length, I feel sure it will cope with that
    With a good external microphone ( Say, the Rode video Mic: You will get reasonable sound)
    As for Image quality....all I can say is that the development of HD and HDD camcorders has meant that many more affordable MiniDV camcorders are able to give good PQ.
    I havent heard any "bad" things about the MD101 but maybe Ive not been keeping my ears ( or eyes ) open:) but I image its low light abilities may be "average"

The Panasonic ....NV GS 400 was a classic.. is it still available.??... Ill be pleasantly surprised if you can find one new

11. tolkien_76

tolkien_76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mark - no reason other than I thought it was a later model and thus still around... my logic goes from 300 > 400 > 500 and the 400 seemed to get a better write up than the 500 and was cheaper!!

seems the 300/400 are hard to come by, the 500 just a tad too expensive, although I may twist the Partners arms..!! seems to be plenty of canons around although it won't get as much into the picture as the Panny.. guess they all have to remain friendly with their Pts if they won't part with a decent wad of cash! ;)

12. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    The 400 was better but it isnt available anymore

Look
    http://www.purelygadgets.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=1744&gclid=CInyydXY6osCFQLUlAodNzB4OQ

I think, a good price , Ive never had one that cost less. The costs have been kept low because of a need to keep the pricing keen due the HDV/HD and HDD camcorders : The "newer" technologies

The 500 performs just as well as the 400 but it is just less "pro" friendly;many of the controls have gone

Sadly that has been the trend over the last few years

13. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    It's confusing as you have different numbers in different years/series.

Back in 2005 or so it was the GS250 and GS400.
    In 2006 the GS250 was replaced by the GS300, and the GS400 replaced by the GS500.
    Now in 2007 the GS320 replaces the GS300. The GS500 is still current.

So you are more likely to find a GS300 (recently retired) than a GS400.

There are a couple of places that have the GS500 for less than £550...
    http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/pl/8-555332/Camcorders/Panasonic-NV-GS500-Compare-Prices

14. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
    What makes you think that? If you compare the Panny GS300 and the Canon MD101, both have the same size sensor... the GS300 lens at the widest is 3mm, the GS101 is 2.6 (wider).

With the GS500 the lens is 3.3mm but the sensor is larger (1/4.7)... if you convert this to the equivlenent with a 1/6" sensor it would be 2.6 (same as the Canon).

15. tolkien_76

tolkien_76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks all for your help..

Think the decision has been made... Canon MD101 gets it on grounds of price..

thanks again

16. senu

senu
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Well , hope it meets your aspirations

As hinted earlier on ,

The Rode VideoMic would be the external microphone of choice.Its audio quality is really pleasing
    You may have a tripod from the past camcorder... after that its ready to roll!;)