Surface Pro 4 how do you project to 2 monitors?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by wright_here, Jul 9, 2018.

1. wright_here

wright_here

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Hi

I have a surface pro 4 with a display port out. I know it supports 2 monitors but how would be the best way to do it?

The two monitors I have have the following inputs:

Monitor 1 - 1 x Dvi 1 x VGA
    Monitor 2 - 2 x hdmi 1 x VGA

Thoughts?

Cheers

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,301
    If you want to connect multiple monitors to a single DisplayPort connection you need an MST Hub.

You do get ones with built in HDMI converters which might be easiest here. One output directly into the HDMI monitor and an HDMI to DVI cable to the other one.

HDMI to DVI only works for single link DVI connections. If it's a higher resolution monitor (above 1920x1200/2048x1152) then you'll either need an MST Hub with a dual link DVI output (if such a thing exists) or an active HDMI/DisplayPort to dual-link DVI converter.

Also bear in mind there is a total resolution limit on DisplayPort's MST functionality so if #2 is a particularly high resolution such as 3840x2160 you may not be able to use a second monitor with it.