surface mount speakers

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by Max1982, Jun 4, 2005.

1. Max1982

Max1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,

I'm in the process of installing a sound dsystem into an old land rover that previously had nothing. Everything is pretty much working now, but I need some help on speaker selection.
    I'm a rookie at car entertainement etc, and have a problem with installing speakers. Because the land rover is a truck cab, theres no where to put speakers behind the seats, so i think door mounts are pretty much the only way to go (maybe I could slip a couple of small tweeters(?) in the shelf that runs along the length of the dash). Anyway the doors don't have a plastic trim- the're just painted Aluminium. I can fix surface mounts but can anyone recommend a decent set, and also will it be OK to point them straight up, they'll be about thigh high!. Also any reccomendations on what I could put in the dash?.

Thanks in advance
    Max.

2. khalilk

khalilk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    howdy amigo ....

you will need to get a nice load system .... load does not always mean stupid power but a sound stage thats clean clear distrotion free... the reason being a land rover can be noisy ... i am not sure what the engine and road nosie levels are in your car .. if you have had any extra sound proofing or not .. but a good selection of speaker selction location / positioning for sound despersion etc ...

anyways ... you can get pods and colars / spacers at any car stereo shop .. which will be of help to you .. depending on the type of speaker system you go for .. if seperate / split .. then it may be better to have the tweeter mounted on the front windscreen pillar directioned to listner.... otherwise dash board mount ... the speakers on the doors may benifit from directioning as well ..

there were some infinity speakers around couple of years ago from their Kappa range whcih were just about an inch thick ... and sounded good too ... cant remember the model name and number but they came in various diameters ...

good luck dude ....

bye
    KK

3. Max1982

Max1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi,

thanks for the reply,.....pods and collars.. I'm not sure what this means, are they housings to turn a conventional speaker into a surface mount??.., if so, that would be superb for my needs.

i could put tweeters in the dash parcel tray directed towards driver and passenger, and mount larger full range speakers on the doors at thigh high pointed either straight up or slightly directed at the driver/passenger. I think maybe, instead, I could put the speakers that I would mount on the door, behind the row of seats, but I'd need some sort of housing and affix those to the bulkhead. Trouble is they'd have to be directly behind the seats.

Any suggestions?.