1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

surely sc ht900 is compromised

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by kevantlin, Jan 17, 2004.

1. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    unless i am sorely mistaken surely most of the cost of this panny goes towards the 5 disk changer the sound must surely suffer because of this i mean who needs this feature anyway are we so bone idle that after 90 minutes we cant be bothered to get up to put another movie on ??????????

Having said all this i have to buy a one box solution and its either this or the new sony sc5

What should i do

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    The Sony is great for sacd use and also does a good job with audio cds I believe but the Panasonic (going by various reviews) seems to have more cinematic impact sound wise. I must admit though I absolutely love the styling of the Sony. On the negative side though they seem to design their home cinema systems on the basis of the best sacd sound rather than home cinema sound. I guess there working hard to push the sacd format.

3. kevantlin

kevantlin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how do you rate the pioneer dv 99

4. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +220
    I rate the Pioneer very highly but compared to the Panasonic its a different animal really. The Pioneer does both SACD and DVD Audio and does a damn good job doing this plus its a very good home cinema system but its clearly aimed at standard televisions. It has no form of component output or progressive scan.

The Panasonic has a slightly better picture and more options in what you can connect it to. However its DVD audio functionality is not full resolution and its optical input only does dolby digital. Also the multidisc dvd drive would worry me a little with regards long term reliability.

Another model to consider is the JVC THA-75R. Its a 6,1 system and works really well except if you go for a multiregion model you will find ntsc dvds are only played back converted to pal. If you only want to play region 2 dvds it doesn't matter though.

To be honest either the Panasonic or Pioneer will do you proud.

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    All all in ones are compromised the 5 disc mechanism doesnt add a huge amount to the cost. Personally i see no point in the 5 disc changer but a lot of my mates insist on 3+ discs in their hifi units why ?? I dont know!