Surely I'm not alone?

jacobmorrison

Because all I'm after is an AV amp I can have alongside my dedicated stereo setup to handle HD audio. In fact I'm trying to upgrade an old 3 channel Yamaha DSP-E800 that was designed to do just that but unfortunately it's not got any of the room EQ processing my new lounge needs (wooden floors and bare walls etc). What I resent is that the AV manufacturers seem to think that anyone that needs front left/right pre-outs is a high-end customer with much greater connectivity requirements than my own. As such they're forcing me to pay at least £600 for a seven channel amp (of which I'd only be using 3) with loads of networking options and bells/whistles I simply don't need. The alternative is to go for discontinued models that are either refurbs or second hand, or to bite the bullet and abandon my dedicated stereo set-up for music. Talk about Hobson's choice! A simple set of front pre-outs is hardly an expensive option to build in. There's my suggestion for next year's ranges. I suspect it's hardly going to be taken up.:(

bluedroog

I had that very same Yammy as my first step in to surround sound many years back and it really was an ideal solution. You don't really see the 3 channel versions these days. Why not keep that and your stereo amp and by a Blu-ray player that does all the HD processing you want onboard?

jacobmorrison

That's what I'm doing now but I really need some room EQ to sort out the poor acoustics. Also the analogue outs from the Oppo 93 lack a bit of oomph. It's been a great solution until the room was re-decorated.

WonkyEwok

Can I ask - how did you end up deciding that the oppo 93 outputs lack oomph?

And have you had a chance to listen to different 2 channel amps and/or AV amps set flat with the same source and speakers etc. - could you tell any difference in sound in a blind test?

I've ended up with an Anthem MRX-300. It was a bit of a punt as I read up then tried it compared to an older Yamaha AV amp and much preferred the Anthem's room correction. But I didn't try it against current Audyssey. I'd have loved it to have cost half as much, but it makes the speakers in my room get out of the way and let me hear what's playing much more as opposed to having wooly bass at some frequencies.

akivo

You are not alone!

I have an older Cambridge Audio amp with two new Monitor stereo speakers which work great for music and with my old DVD player.

However the analogue outputs on my new LG blu ray player don't produce the same power through the amp so I'm now looking at alternatives but hitting (expensive) brick walls wherever I go.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Have you considered buying a standalone audio processor like Audessey? This will give you the room correction you are looking for although they tend to not be a cheap option either.

jacobmorrison

They're not cheap at all, and they don't seem to be making them anymore. I'm probably going to have to plump for an Onkyo 709, Yamaha 779, or Marantz 5006 although I'm not approaching this with a positive frame of mind! If anyone wants to sell a Yamaha RX-V667 I can make them a good offer.

eaglemmoomin

Theres no large scale demand for them basically. People either have totally seperate systems or buy an AV processor/AV receiver and then mix power amps etc to suit.

To be honest going the analogue route is so much extra faff and hassle with bypasses or volume mismatches in the chain and the extra boxes and cabling and even then you get potentially (not the Oppo) substandard bass management or no EQ whatsoever. I used to do it with my old Arcam until I got sick of it. Much simpler now.

I'd be looking at the oft mentioned Anthem MRX 300 or a preprocessor.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
... AV manufacturers seem to think that anyone that needs front left/right pre-outs is a high-end customer with much greater connectivity requirements than my own....

I agree. FL/FR pre-outs should at least be standard across the board imo, and not cost the earth for the pleasure.

Anyhoo, Have you considered adding a source switch?

Manual: TC-7220 AUDIO ROUTER £70 + del
Automatic: AS2 Automatic Speaker Level Source Selector | Sonance

With the above, you are able to connect up any av you want (Pre-outs or no pre-outs) and the stereo amp to the same speakers.

I was using a av pre-out to a stereo amp for a while, but then added the Beresford switch. Wouldn't do without one now.

An av processor would be ideal, but as said, not cheap

Can I ask - how did you end up deciding that the oppo 93 outputs lack oomph?

I 2nd that.

jacobmorrison

Thanks for the input everyone. Glad I'm not alone in this. The beresford speaker switch seemed to be for connection of 2 pairs of speakers to one amp, I wasn't sure you could connect the other way round? The source selector looks great but is it available in the uk? My "lacking oomph" comment seems to have attracted interest! For me the oppo 93 analogue presentation is a bit too pedestrian, no real projection to vocals and the soundstage a bit narrow, but this will be an entirely subjective opinion of course. I would have bought a 95 had I been able to afford it. No doubt if I had I'd be looking at an entirely different upgrade path.

Don Dadda

Distinguished Member
.. The beresford speaker switch seemed to be for connection of 2 pairs of speakers to one amp, I wasn't sure you could connect the other way round?.

It can handle 2 pairs of speakers and 2 amplifers. Very simple to connect up, you just need a little extra speaker cable.

I beleve the sonance source selector is available( or was) in the uk but not sure where. Best contact Sonance and find out if interested

Attachments

• Beresford 7220.gif
    Beresford 7220.gif
    29.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 7220 rear.jpg
    7220 rear.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 59

WonkyEwok

... My "lacking oomph" comment seems to have attracted interest! For me the oppo 93 analogue presentation is a bit too pedestrian, no real projection to vocals and the soundstage a bit narrow, but this will be an entirely subjective opinion of course. ...

Thanks for your comments. I guess you're comparing the analog and digital (hdmi?) outs of the oppo? Is it a "night and day" difference to you, or is it quite subtle? If someone swapped the connection without telling you, would you notice (ie like if a tweeter had blown or something)?

I thought it wasn't fair to ask you all this without trying it myself :) so I've just tried comparing the analog and hdmi outs on my sony bdp-s550 into my mrx-300 then AE Radiance 1 speakers. My first thought was that the hdmi was punchier, but after more listening I think the hdmi is about 1dB louder than analog. I think this is meant to affect audio perception by the Fletcher-Munson effect. When I turned up the volume 1dB for analog only they were closer - maybe identical in the few minutes I used. I think to really detect a difference (for me) I'd need to listen for longer on more types of music and/or be able to switch instantly between sources. In this test it takes the amp maybe 2-3 seconds to swap between hdmi and analog. Maybe hdcp is to blame.

This might be interesting Harman How to Listen

(Anyway - no pressure - I'm just interested in what we can really hear at the moment)

Last edited:

jacobmorrison

Actually I can't compare in this way as my only route is analogue, my Yamaha DSP-E800 doesn't have hdmi. I'm comparing stereo through the oppo analogue outputs directly into my stereo amp, Cambridge audio 650, against the digital output of the oppo via optical cable to the yamaha, then out from the Yamaha to the CA650. The Yamaha has a bigger sense of scale and more vocal projection. The dac on the yamaha was highly praised at the time and it certainly does a job on stereo. The lack of vocal projection is something i hear with film soundtracks too using the yamaha 5.1 inputs. I'm constantly having to fiddle with the centre channel volume. The soundtracks never entirely surround. Again this is all subjective and I know the Oppo is a great machine, absolutely no regrets purchasing it.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom