Surely a good idea?

Discussion in 'Music Streamers' started by ProfessorYaffle, Jan 24, 2008.

1. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    With the various radios that record DAB to SD card, you'd have thought someone (are you listening Pure?) would have brought out an audio player with an SD slot that can play mp2 files (without having to rename or, more frustratingly, convert them). Or, alternatively, one of the audio player manufacturers update the firmware on their SD card based devices to do this.

With a cheap SD-based player goihg for under a tenner (the Sumvision Squircle) and with DAB fairly popular in the UK, it wouldn't take much cost & effort, surely? A collaboration and a bit of rebadging and you're done.

I've yet to hear of an existing SD based player that does this (although I read once the older Samsung offerings may have done).

The "Pure Companion" is born! (TM). I'll sell Pure the rights to this name for an Evoke-3! :D

2. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I've no first hand experience of this and can only speculate on the basis of discussions with others who have played around in this area.

Is it not the case that DAB radios write mp2 files to their cards and it being an ancient and unloved compression system few if any modern players will handle them?

There have certainly been devices (such as DVD players) that will play mp2 files if renamed as an mp3 file and written to CD but most are not so easily fooled. If you were really lucky perhaps that would work on an SD card too.

Good luck in persuading Pure to produce such a device; the chances are that all other makers would want to expend their resources on modern codecs, not a 20 year old one. :)

3. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    20 years old it may be, but we're stuck with it.

And mp2 begat mp3 as they say in Biblical circles, and is only a less efficient compression than its very closely related offspring (but I suppose apes can't piay Junior Scrabble either). Apparantly, if manufacturers stick rigidly to the mp3 standard their players should play mp2 files but the majority don't.

Tweaking firmware would at allow one audio player manufacturer to exploit a gap in the market, even if a dedicated device is a step too far. For a very small outlay, they'd sell enough extra units to make it worthwhile financially.

Perhaps some open source firmware could be written even. Hell, I might even do it myself!

4. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Perhaps you are unaware that the most recent Pure products support more than just mp2. They don't like to advertise it in case Joe Public gets to think they have been sold a pup but it's there buried in the technical datasheets.

Commercial pressures will eventually see broadcasters using the facility. It's happened already in many overseas territories. Eventually it will happen here.

5. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I'm aware they support DAB+ if that's what you are referring to, but alas that does not address my immediate need as I don't think DAB+ will be mainstream anytime soon. I just want to put my SD card into player and listen to an mp2 without any renaming/converting etc. Maybe I'll try and pick up an old Samsung off eBay and give it a shot - the manual suggests they play mp2 if my memory serves me right

6. hannahntilly

hannahntilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My old iPod (a 10gb model which is 2nd generation I think) plays DAB MP2s without conversion. I just drag them from my SD card to iTunes and they play splendidly once synced. However, my new super-duper iPod Touch won't play them unless I first convert them to MP3 or AAC(.M4A) format.

I'd suggest that older iPods can be picked up fairly cheaply.........

7. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Most MP3 players will play MP2s but you may have to rename the files from MP2 to MP3 to get them to be recognised.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

8. hannahntilly

hannahntilly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As I said, I didn't have to rename them to play on my old iPod.

The new iPod touch won't play MP2 files even if they are renamed - they have to be converted.

There's progress for you.......

9. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +763
    Most MP3 codecs have some backwards compatibility - but obviously not the one used in the iPod.

Chris Muriel, Manchester

10. ProfessorYaffle

ProfessorYaffle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Yes, I know. However, I want to pluck my SD card out of my Bug in the morning, throw it in an MP3 player with an SD slot (goodbye iPod!) and listen on the way to work. And, alas, my wife's cheap MP3 player won't even play them if renamed anyway. The infuriating thing is that it's a trivial thing to add if manufacturers were so inclined. Perhaps if DAB sales escalate, something may happen...

11. RussWWFC

RussWWFC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    MP2 may be an outdated format but surely all it takes is some kind soul to include it in a firmware update?

For any product that is

12. Enverex

Enverex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    MP3's are MPEG1 Layer 3, MP2s are MPEG 2 (normally used for Videos, DVDs specifically) so it's not surprising that it doesn't play them really.

But apparently people here saying MP2 mean MPEG1 Layer 2... which is just confusing matters more... so.. yeah, not a good idea to mix it all.

13. malcolmk

malcolmk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Now who is confusing things? "MP2 is short for MPEG Audio Layer 2" and no I didn't make that up I cut and pasted it from Pure's website though I could have used countless others. Another example "MPEG-1 Audio Layer II (MP2, sometimes Musicam) is an audio codec defined by ISO/IEC 11172-3"