1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Suprised there arnt more Z3 threads

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Kopite4Ever, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    so lets make this an official one :)

there has been lots of AE700 threads b4 the build up to release but not many rival Z3 threads.

i been over at avsforum and looking through that and there are alot of people excited about it, me included. are any Z2 owners gonna upgrade due to the bug :p ? im looking at this for my 1st PJ over the AE700 as i prefered the Z2 over the AE500. i cant comment on AE700 as ive only seen screenys from fellow members. what are other peoples thoughts on this PJ ? ive only seen 2 places with prices nexnix and ivojo and they both seem decent

2. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I'm hanging on for a 3-way shoot-out with the AE700, Z3 and the HS50.

I've seen mixed reports on the AE700 with VB and convegence problems when the lens shift is used, and as this is the main reason for buying an LCD PJ it's making me a little cautious....

Sanyo have had more experience with lens shift and the setup menu appears to have a VB setting, although quite what it's going to do I'm not quite sure ! I'll be interested to see one in action.

The Sony is the one I'm really looking forward to seeing if it's as good as the hype - although it will have to be if it's going to be around £2k !

Bring it on !

Cheers,
    Mark

3. Tup

Tup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes...it seems last year the Z2 overshadowed the AE500 and now this year, the AE700 is overshadowing the Z3.

I give the edge to AE700 in throw distance (10-20 ft away for a 100" screen); bulb life; possibly better contrast ratio....The screen door seems to be much reduced as well....
    what makes me slightly nervous is reports of cropped pixels via HDMI, some issue with the lens shift.

I give the edge to the Z3 in terms of adding a mechanism to deal with dust, adding a user setting for vertical banding. Also, projectorcentral indicated that the onboard scaler is very good in the Z3....

What gives me some pause is reports of less contrast vs the 700.

So the big questions to hash out involve comparing the onboard scalers on the Z3 and AE700 as well as the contrast and lens shift.

I suspect they are fairly close...if the Z3's scaler is better it might be better for regular DVD and regular TV watching....the AE700 may be better for contrast in rooms with more light intrusion and possibly better with HDTV.....

Let the shootouts begin.

4. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,340
    I think last year a lot of people realised PJs were affordable with massivly improved quality at the price-point they could enter with the Z2/AE500. This year there seems much fewer new entrants, so people are waiting to see how the tech reviews pan out. Hence less need to discuss rumours and speculate what they need or will be provided.

Personally i'm fairly happy with my Z2, and dont see the need to upgrade unless it either breaks or this next batch is massivly better (which it dosent appear to be so). Hopefully i can hold out till these new chipsets come out on the Z4/Z5 range in a year or so's time.