1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supra RGB Scart - Scart cable

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by Jeff, Aug 3, 2000.

1. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Yesterday I installed a Supra RGB Scart - Scart cable to go between my Sony 725 DVD player and my Loewe Aconda TV. Just to say that there is a visible improvement over my existing £40 job. On a good DVD you can turn the sharpness on the TV right up and all you get is extra detail and not noise. The cable doesn't carry any sound (I haven't proved that yet) and is directional, which isn't something that I have come across before on a scart cable.

I also tried out a Supra X-ZAC toslink cable. Results here not so good, I could here a loss of volume and maybe detail compared to my existing coaxial cable. Could be that Sony player or the Yamaha Amp prefer coaxial.

2. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    I've been umming & arring on whether to buy this cable or not. Do you mean that it's much better than your £40 RGB cable, or was the previous s-video?
    Where did you buy it? I've been offered a Supra 5 metre scart to scart RGB by 'Glaive' for £95.

3. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    The £40 cable I refered to is a fully wired scart cable used for RGB. I can't remember the make but it did cost £40 from audioT (I now use it for Sky). I got my 1M supra cable from Glaive for about £60 so £95 for a 5M sounds like a bargain. Also the longer the cable the more quality is important. Don't expect to hide the cable though this is one thick cable. Nice light blue colour though.

4. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there a website for this manufacturer. If I search for 'Supra' I just get pages of links for Toyotas !

5. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
  6. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    The cable will be directional as they will not be using all of the 21 pins.

The sync info on RGB sent down a scart is carried in the composite signal. The wiring of a scart requires that "composite out" at one end goes to "composite in" at the other. So if only the RGB and composite (out to in) pins are wired the lead will only work in one direction. It is unusual with fully wired scarts but not with a high quality RGB lead, ours are always directional in this regard.

Hope this helps,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

[This message has been edited by Gordon, StereoStereo (edited 04-08-2000).]

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx for the links Jeff, nice to see some prices listed on the UK distributers site: makes a change these days.

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Thanks Arthur,

As I said to you earlier I am sure their lead will be just as suitable as ours, and if they're in your town then that seems an excellent solution. I can go on holiday and sleep easy now ;-)

Let us all know how the picture looks when you get it done. All the best,

Gordon

------------------
    StereoStereo
    Intelligent Solutions for Intelligent Homes !

9. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Jeff.
    Unbelievably, Glaive are here in my home town! They've offered to make me up a 'practice' cable before having the Supra made to check that everything works OK.
    I've been getting loads of help & advice on this subject from Gordon Fraser of StereoStereo. No doubt in my mind that he would offer the same if he were closer. But he's in Glasgow & I'm in Kent!
    If Glaive's cable does the biz (& they don't put the price up) I'll probably feel bound to go with them. If not I'll be extremely happy to give this to Gordon. He's worked bloody hard for a 70 quid order!
    Anyone in the Glasgow area thinking of buying anything, get yourself over to StereoStereo...Gordon is one helpful bloke!!

Arthur.

[This message has been edited by Arthur.S (edited 04-08-2000).]