1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supra- or Cirum-aural with Glasses

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by eviljohn2, Jun 29, 2005.

1. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Hi guys

I don't know the first thing about headphones but current space constraints are sending me in this direction.

The main question that I need answered is whether circumaural types are likely to damage the arms of my glasses. This is something that I will not tolerate for obvious reasons.

There are plenty of other threads on headphone choice so I have a rough idea where to start with something between £50 and £100 to spend. PJ Hifi will probably be my first port of call, has anyone used them for cans in this price bracket before? :)

2. mister_d

mister_d
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm not sure what the headphone selection is like at PJ - I know they stock a couple of headphone amps as I made enquiries there about a year ago, but there seem to be no headphones listed on the website. Probably going in there later to investigate their Quad open evening, so will have a look if you haven't already visited them.

Alternatively, I'm about five miles outside Guildford and stock a greater range than I'm sure they do. I have Grado SR-80s, Sennheiser HD580/600s (the former are in appalling, unusable condition unfortunately, but I can swap the pads/headband from the 600s), Beyer DT531s and, as of this morning, DT770 Pros (80 ohm), or if you want a taste of the higher end, Alessandro MS2is (rebadged Grado 325i) and Sony MDR-CD3000.

Not that I'm soliciting for trade or anything, but unsurprisingly with a pointlessly large collection like that I need to be shifting at least one or two pairs. The Grados are definitely for sale, and, if I'm permitted to advertise so fragrantly, were posted here a few weeks back with no interest. If you collected they'd be at the bottom end of your budget, and I might also be persuaded to part with the HD600s at the other end. You're welcome to try them out with no commitment though, at the very least it should answer your supra/circumaural question (can't comment myself since I don't wear glasses) as I suspect the former might be difficult to find in local shops.

PM me if you want to discuss further :)

3. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
  4. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    To add a bit of closure to this, although I was seriously tempted by the Alessandro MS-1s I paid PJ Hifi a visit and listened to a few of their models. Practically the only cans available in Guildford are Sennheiser models which would normally be limiting if they didn't produce so many models!

I tried the
    HD555
    HD280 Pro
    HD570
    and another one that I can't remember
    all through a Linn Classik (which didn't have any onboard track scanning buttons :thumbsdown: ).

I was expecting to leave with the HD555s but found them very disappointing sonically - like a crap car stereo but were supremely comfortable.

Next came the HD280 Pro which were head and shoulders better although a little more enclosed which took some getting used to. Probably my favourite model although they weren't as comfortable as the 555s or the 570s.

I finally tried the HD 570s which were just as comfortable as the 555s but sounded much better across the range. They also had a bit more bass weight which will be good when I listen to films or games. :thumbsup: Even better, the 570s are on special offer so I only had to pay just over half RRP for them!

For any future readers, I can safely say that none of these models caused any risk of damage to my glasses despite being circumaural. :)