Supra Lo-Rad 1.5 or 2.5?

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by t0by, Mar 17, 2006.

1. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I want to make up some home-brew power cables for my AV kit and am going to go down the much discussed simple route of MK Duraplug + Wattgate 320i + Supra Lo-Rad cable.

Please can someone let me know if I should be going with the 1.5 version or the 2.5 version of the cable?

I will be making 4 cables, 3 x 1m and 1 x 5m for my plasma.

Cheers

2. Dean25

Dean25
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Be aware of the fact that with the lorad 2.5 you will have trouble getting uk plugs to fit the cable, unless you use supras own 13amp plug, other than that you're only option for the 2.5 would be an mk safety plug or tough plug. You will not be able to fit the 2.5 into a duraplug without putting a lot of pressure on the cable clamp, if however you decide to go for the 1.5 you can pretty much use any plugs you want. If you decide to go for wattgate iec plugs look into buying them from the us as they are way way cheaper over there. Other good plugs are: permaplugs, marbo rubber plugs. Don't buy them from diy stores however as they are massively overpriced, find a good wholesaler who will serve the public and you will get plugs at a much better price.

3. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers for the words of wisdom, Dean. I just bought 4 Wattgates from forrestgump here on the forums. £15 a pop (incl p&P) seems like a reasonable price to me.

Is the 2.5 a 'better' cable than the 1.5 and, if so, in what way? Does it really matter for the application that I am going to it for?

4. Dean25

Dean25
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    According to Supra's website the only difference between the 1.5 and 2.5 is the current rating for the cable. Lorad 2.5 = 16amps at 230 volts and Lorad 1.5 = 10 amps at 230 volts. Here is the link for the Lorad website: www.lorad.co.uk. Another way of terminating the Lorad 2.5 with ease would be to use schuko plugs instead of Uk 13amp plugs.

5. t0by

t0by

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    So I'm guessing the 1.5 stuff would be fine for applications such as a plasma, receiver, sub, and dvd player?

6. Dean25

Dean25
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Yeah I would imagine so, as long as the power consumption does not exceed 10amps for each appliance. If you want to wire a socket block with it at a later date, I would use the 2.5 though.