Supposed to be sealed around the edges?

Brem

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been using this 3G S for a couple of weeks, having had some massive issues with the other I had and giving up on it while it's away being sorted (taken longer than they said it would).

I'm wondering though, is it supposed to be sealed around the edges, where the silver is near the black parts of the phone? I started to wonder when I noticed what I think is dust, or at least specks of something under the bottom left and top right corner, as well as under the left side.

Between the silver lining and the black part, there is a very small gap, that does collect some bits now and there but sometimes gets picked up when I give it a wipe down at the end of the day.

I'm just wondering having read some comments online whether it's not supposed to have even a small gap, and if the silver is supposed to connect with the black part?

Sorry that my description is awful, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

You mean between the bezal and the screen? Yes there is a very slight gap which can gather a little dust.

No I think he means between the bezel and the battery cover.

You should have no gapes. I had one that had a gap and it just got wider and longer over time, contacted Apple and they exchanged the phone.

I was told by them that is a known defect and is covered by the warranty.

You should have no gapes. I had one that had a gap and it just got wider and longer over time, contacted Apple and they exchanged the phone.

Cheers for that, i will keep an eye on it. Not sure there is a gap between the bezel and battery though.

Oh, no I think his answer is what I'm looking for. I have a white one, and I meant a small gap between the black outer lining of the screen. Like I said my description is poor, but I still have left over of the flu, and it's not helping me think straight.

I'll keep an eye out for that though as well. I think I'm alright though.

You mean between the bezal and the screen? Yes there is a very slight gap which can gather a little dust.

Thanks. I feel a little better about that now. I wasn't sure because I'd read something else I can't even remember where. Felt a little bothered, so I thought all I can do is ask.

Oh, no I think his answer is what I'm looking for. I have a white one, and I meant a small gap between the black outer lining of the screen. Like I said my description is poor, but I still have left over of the flu, and it's not helping me think straight.

I'll keep an eye out for that though as well. I think I'm alright though.

Thanks. I feel a little better about that now. I wasn't sure because I'd read something else I can't even remember where. Felt a little bothered, so I thought all I can do is ask.

There is a rubber lining between the screen and the bezel. There should be no gap in that lining though, you will know if there is because the back lighting will leak through.

Just checked my 8gig 3G and i seam to have a gap forming between the silver bit at the back black bit near the volume/silence switch.

What should i do? Do i take it into a apple store or do I ring O2?:lease:

Go to Apple, don't bother with O2

There is a rubber lining between the screen and the bezel. There should be no gap in that lining though, you will know if there is because the back lighting will leak through.

Go to Apple, don't bother with O2

Right, so really if there are specks or dust or something under the sides of the screen, then there might be something wrong? I'm considering just getting a replacement now.

You said go through Apple. I got mine with O2, can we go through Apple then and is that better? I was trying to get over it but it's a little frustrating because this happened after two days of use. I can't imagine that it's supposed to happen, not that fast at least. It's at three parts though.

I'm not sure how to back up the phone though. I know you can sync it with iTunes, I assume this is it? My problem is I get told about contacts and I'm confused because I have very few contacts, about five but it says 47 of something will be removed. It's good that so far, I've only downloaded a couple of free applications.

Either way, hope you can help me understand a little better about who to go to for a replacement, and how to back up. All the help so far is really appreciated though, so thank you.

Edit: I just checked, though the back light doesn't shine through maybe these specks were from when it was made.

Right, so really if there are specks or dust or something under the sides of the screen, then there might be something wrong? I'm considering just getting a replacement now.

You said go through Apple. I got mine with O2, can we go through Apple then and is that better? I was trying to get over it but it's a little frustrating because this happened after two days of use. I can't imagine that it's supposed to happen, not that fast at least. It's at three parts though.

I'm not sure how to back up the phone though. I know you can sync it with iTunes, I assume this is it? My problem is I get told about contacts and I'm confused because I have very few contacts, about five but it says 47 of something will be removed. It's good that so far, I've only downloaded a couple of free applications.

Either way, hope you can help me understand a little better about who to go to for a replacement, and how to back up. All the help so far is really appreciated though, so thank you.

Edit: I just checked, though the back light doesn't shine through maybe these specks were from when it was made.

You have specks of dust under the glass? You shouldn't have dust under the glass or any defect to the glass or lcd.

O2 send any iPhone to Apple for repair/replace anyway. Do you have a Genius Bar next to where you live? You can book an appointment with them or you can send it to Apple.

When you call Apple they will advise you on the whole procedure that involves either going to the Genius or sending in the phone.

As regards to backing up the phone, when you sync with iTunes it backs up the phone.

Have a look in the tabs when you have your phone hooked up to itunes and see if contacts sync is ticked.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom