• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Support For Dolby Vision

dave1956a

Prominent Member
Well Panasonic and Phillips are going to support DV, how long before Samsung follow suite and then HDR10+ goes the way of DNR, MAC tv, HDDVD and Betamax to name but 3

Foster1984

Prominent Member
I don't think any of Samsung's sets meet the requirements for DV, however most DV sets don't hit the full spec of DV as it stands today anyway. I'm not aware of any 12 bit, 10k nit brightness sets anyway.

The big game changer of DV is how it is metadata based, but then so is HDR10+, so Samsung might be able to sort support for both out via firmware updates.

But unfortunately I imagine even if they could, they would likely not do it for current models; so they can use it as a selling feature of their latest line-up.

Or it might just be that they don't want to pay the licence fee, so it might be a feature they never get. After all, we lost DTS sound due to them not wanting to pay for the licence.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom