Suppliers for new Intel Merom - Core 2 Mobile CPUs

mark.carline

Novice Member
Does anyone know anyone in the Uk thats selling the new Intel Socket 479 Merom Core 2 Mobile CPus ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core_2

http://guides.macrumors.com/Merom

The range being released is as follows:

Core 2 Duo (Dual Core, 65nm, 64-bit)
Core 2 Duo T5500 - 1.66 GHz (2 MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) - $209
Core 2 Duo T5600 - 1.83 GHz (2 MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) - $240
Core 2 Duo T7200 - 2.00 GHz (4 MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) - $294
Core 2 Duo T7400 - 2.16 GHz (4 MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) - $423
Core 2 Duo T7600 - 2.33 GHz (4 MB L2 Cache, 667 MHz FSB) - $637
I am after the T5500 which I am guessing will be priced at around the £120 mark in the Uk.

wywywywy

I am looking for a Merom as well, but can't find anything in the UK yet.

Do you know if the existing s479 motherboards support this chip?

mark.carline

Novice Member
Yes See my thred in the MCE section on this site:

Best CPU & Motherboard for MCE 2005 / Vista / Power usage
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=374541

I have just ordered the ASUS N4L-VM DH from scan:
http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=401837
http://uk.asus.com/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=54&l3=0&model=1092&modelmenu=1

and the latest BIOS update 0603 says:

N4L-VM DH BIOS 0603
1.Fix sometime will hang at BIOS when overclocking over 5% and than load default.
2.Fix CPU frequency show correctly in DMI type4 when overclocking.
3.Support Merom CPU.
4.Update CPU ucode.
5.Update JMB option rom.(V1.06)
6. Update MRC code.
I have a feeling that these socket 479 Core 2 Duo plus with the ASUS ViiV chipset are going to be huge for AV installations & MCE usage!

Have you seen the power rating on them - 1 Watt !

wywywywy

WTF!? 1 Watt!? I knew they are good, but I didn't know they are THAT good!

I think I am going to scrap my Conroe plan, and go for Merom for both my desktop and HTPC!

Not sure what to do with my CT-479 now...

jameson_uk

Novice Member
mark.carline said:
and the latest BIOS update 0603 says:
I would be careful as you need a CPU in the mobo to upgrade the BIOS. Generally this requires a compatible CPU from before that series.

(a'la here)

I would probably ask them to check the BIOS version they are shipping before buying anything this new....

jameson_uk

Novice Member
mark.carline said:
They are the normal socket 775 Core 2 chips as oposed to the Mobile low power socket 479 type
Scan do have some in stock here though
Edit: Can not read.... these are Yonah not Merom

jameson_uk

Novice Member
Must admit after doing a little digging, I am thinking about upgrading.....

Anyone seen what the stock cooler on these is like ? presume there aren't many available yet ?? at 1W they could be / are passively cooled?

mark.carline

Novice Member
dmce said:
The problem is there isnt any mATX board with DVi/HDMI out yet so im reluctant to buy just now.
The ASUS board just turned up from scan and just been reading though the manual and thought I would post a couple of pages I thought might be interesting.

There seems to be some kind of DVI upgrade board called a "R-DVI-ADD2/R-DVI-ADD2-L" have a look at pages 41 and 42 in the attached images.

The manual for this DVI board is here:
ftp://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/accessory/DVI-ADD2/e1795_dvi-add2_card.pdf

There also seems to be a "TV OUT Connector" and an "SPDIF IN / OUT" connector (the onboard in only coax and optical out) for this board. See page 57

Any ideas where I might be able to get one of these from ???

I have opened a case with ASUS to discuss this - I will post back when i get a reply:

http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techmailstatus.aspx?ID=WTM2006080141458231

Attachments

mark.carline

Novice Member
jameson_uk said:
Anyone seen what the stock cooler on these is like ? presume there aren't many available yet ?? at 1W they could be / are passively cooled?
The cooler just looks like an old 486 cooler - Thats the only thing thats worrying me a little at the moment. I am guessing that once all the power saving features (variable fan speed / viiv / speedstep etc) are all switched on and working that the fan will slow down soo much that we wont hear it.

I just need to ensure that when I finally get one of the Core 2 Mobiles (merom) that its the lowest power once possible (ie T5500) then power usage will be at a minimum.

Big Adam

Novice Member
Don't overlook the AOpen i945Gtm-VHL

Comes with onboard DVI output (which I can confirm works BRILLIANTLY with my Pio 50MXE1

Like the Asus mobo, it should support the newer Core 2 Merom processors following a BIOS update (not released yet). I'm currently running a 2.16Ghz Core Duo Yonah with 2Gb of 667 DDR2 SO-DIMM :thumbsup:

Combined with an HFX 165W "brick" PSU, it's the perfect silent solution. Motherboard uses a standard Socket 478 HSF bracket so you can use and off-the-shelf silent HSF unit.

mark.carline

Novice Member
Big Adam said:
Does this support Intel ViiV for Away mode / Instant on etc ?

Big Adam said:
Combined with an HFX 165W "brick" PSU, it's the perfect silent solution. Motherboard uses a standard Socket 478 HSF bracket so you can use and off-the-shelf silent HSF unit.
Are you using this - I like the look of this but not sure if my kit will exceed the 165w that this can produce (again I think i need to get the lowest power spec CPU that will do the job in MCE).

UPDATE: I found more info on this PSU - Looks good:
http://www.mcubed-store.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=157

Does mention:

The performance is sufficient for up to 3 slot cards, 1 DVD and 2 HDD.

trifin

Novice Member
hiya,
I have a t2400. and the asus mobo - i am sure there is a reason why i didn't like the aopen offering...
ok well i use the stock cooler that came with the asus mobo.
I never use stock coolers - i replace them with expensive zalman coolers :) but I never bothered with this cooler! with the quiet options enabled in the bios the fan is really quiet and keeps things very cool. I really think that anyone buying this mobo should try the cooler first. I was VERY surprised.

About low power chips. I have owned far to many small laptops and they have some wonerful, exciting low power chips in them. I nearly ALWAYS regret buying one. I read the stats and work it all - saying to myself I'll only use it for Outlook, Word & Internet. Then I have outlook open and go to a web page with a video on - then my pc slows down and think oh man why didn't i just buy a normal laptop and it starts again - looking for the latest low power chip!!! haha

I guess what I am saying is take it easy - i would not be surprised if you find that one of those 1w chips is not going to be enough. I often say to myself why do they make such powerful processors if it can all be done but a 1w processor? I had the previous laptop chip on a desktop mobo (pentium M) and it was not powerful enough - despite what the review stated.

I am very much of the opinion that PCs kinda suck - software crashes, things down really work that well etc so i like to add some overhead to allow for the constant failings of these dam machines. How well do you enjoy STRESS?

mark.carline

Novice Member
Thanks for your comments and interesting notes about power usage.

I currently have a Pentium 4 Prescott 530 3.0Ghz and wondered how this will compare with (say) one of the new Core 2 Duo Mobile T5500 CPUs ?

My setup has been perfect since it was installed, no blue screens, no crashes, no freezes etc. Having said that I dont install very many applications as its a deadicated MCE 2005 system. Anti Virus, Office few picture editing apps and Roxio Easy Media creator and thats about it.

I dont play games on the PC - thats what the 360 is for :D

trifin

Novice Member
i think a t5500 will blow ur 530 away!!! intel is on to such a winner with these Core (2) chips.

let me know if you actually find any - or any of the core 2s - i can only find the crappy 2MB ones and the Extreme versions - all the good ones are going to OEMs like Evesham ;) haha

mark.carline

Novice Member
trifin said:
i think a t5500 will blow ur 530 away!!! intel is on to such a winner with these Core (2) chips.

let me know if you actually find any - or any of the core 2s - i can only find the crappy 2MB ones and the Extreme versions - all the good ones are going to OEMs like Evesham ;) haha
I agree and think that the issues with laptop technology is the slow hard drives and slow hard drive interfaces they use - The ASUS board uses a SATAII 3gb interface so this will be fine for a MCE machine.

My old prescott 530 3.0ghz CPU uses around 89watts and the new T5500 uses around 30 watts (max) going down to 1watt when idle :D

It would be interesting to see what icomp or specint rating these two CPUs are but I cant seem to find any kind of comparison

EDIT: Update just seen this comparison (See image).

Attachments

dmce

Ive got one question regarding the DVi bracket. From the attached images you supplied mark it doesnt look like the video via DVi is capable of full 1080p which looks like a pity.

Ok, so we dont really need this at the moment but it would be nice to have a full package, and no need for a slot to be taken up by the DVi card.

mark.carline

Novice Member
true but my shopping list for a new m/b was:

- Intel ViiV
- 2 x PCI slots
- Socket 479 & Merom compatable
- Low power usage
- Integrated graphics (ie no additonal GPU heat etc)
- SATA II 3Ghz
- DVI option
- Compatable with Vista

as far as I am aware the ASUS is the only board for this

trifin

Novice Member
i have just been emailed that a E6600 is on its way to me!!

i guess i means that the t5500 will be around soon :)

mark.carline

Novice Member

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews

Latest News

What's new on Netflix UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Warner Bros 2021 movies coming to HBO Max and cinemas simultaneously
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
4K Streaming impacts carbon emissions says Royal Society
  • By Andy Bassett