1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Supplier for Shuttle PC..Which One?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Matt Horne, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Basically I currently have a laptop with a 10GB harddisc. I have just got a SLiMp3 player and so I have been looking at network harddisc storage for my MP3 collection.

The cheapest network drive I could find was the Linksys egr80 which has 2 drive bays and includes a 80GB disc.. it costs about £370!!

So as all I am after is a decent sized harddisc, and about 512 of ram (+ a network card) I thought I getting a shuttle PC and using it on my network along with XP remote access to control it (don;t want another set of keyboards/mice/monitors)

From browsing the web theres quite a selection of models.. and specs..

So my 2 questions are :

From my usage which of the shuttles would be most suitable (I guess one of the AMD based ones ?), must have a lan card/video built in etc etc

The other question is can anyone recommend a good supplier for the bits, either a DIY website.. or one who will build the machine for me as a complete buy.

Thanks

Matt

2. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, your requirements are pretty basic. Virtually all the Shuttles have onboard video and they all have onboard LAN.

I've owned a SV24 (now obsolete), SB51G and SN41G2 in my time. They're all great, but the SN41G2 is especially nice with it's onboard dual-VGA.

Have a word with the lovely people at Kustom PCs

Graeme and the boys will be happy to build a system for you or spec one up and give you a price if you want to self build.

Big A

3. Ally

Ally

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.aria.co.uk look about the best value right now. Im teetering on the edge of ordering an SN45G. Its an nforce 400 mb with onboard 6.1 sound, lan, firewire and you dont need a cpu heatsink/fan. Check it out!

4. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks will do :)

Matt

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    You don't need a heatsink/fan with ANY Shuttle. They are all fitted with the excellent I.C.E. cooling system.

6. originalbadboy

originalbadboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  7. Pack Dude

Pack Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Does anyone know if the shuttle comes with heatsink thermal paste?

Thanks.

8. Senninha

Senninha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yes, it comes with thermal paste.

I have an SN45G myself, and built an SN41G2 for a friend (I preferred my own graphics card, and wanted the 400Mhz). I can't recommend them highly enough. I actually use it as my main PC, and set my old massive tower unit exactly as you are doing - as network storage. As my old mobo was RAID, I could stuff the tower with hard-disks, put a Zalman flower on it, and underclock the CPU. Now it's nice and quiet, sitting in the corner with all my CDs "APE"ed to it.

Works really well.

9. midlandswarrior

midlandswarrior

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought mine from here http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_Shuttle_102.html these are the bare bones systems so you add the processor, memory, HD and cd to your own requirements.

I added a 1.6g duron (£20) and some memory which came to under £200, with hard disks currently available for about £100 for a 200gb that should hold all your mp3's

so for around £300 you could do it.

One of the main reasons for getting a shuttle if due to looks but im not sure if you actually need that for a storage pc:confused:

you could aslo concider a usb hard drive for your laptop ..

10. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Thanks.. I have a small 20GB usb/firewire external drive but I was looking for a solution which could sit on the network all the time as I use my laptop around the house which would casue probs if I had a external drive plugged in.

I have been looking around and I may just get a tower of some description loaded with harddiscs and a dvdburner..and leave that running in the study.

I have 2 questions with regards to running another PC. Ideally I would like to have it running in the corner without a keyboard/mouse and monitor attached, the idea would be I could control it from my laptop by using VNC or XP's remote management. Is this possible ? Can I boot the PC without a monitor/mouse/keyboard plugged in ? I have had laptops for the last 5 years so I cannot remeber how a desktop would behave!

If anyone has any other ideas how I could run this with just my network and laptop.. please let me know !

Thanks

Matt

11. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    Also a couple more questions :

1. For Ram purposes do you have to fill both slots? i.e for 512mb I would have to have 2 256mb sims? or could I buy a 512mb and then add another at a later date ?

2. Using drives larger than 120GB. With shuttle or other PC's is this still a issue? For a fresh build would I be able to install XP on a large drive.. as I understand you needed SP1 ??

3. Also with these barebone systems do you normally get the internal cables (IDE etc) or Do I have to buy those as well.

4. Any recommendations for a Processor for a file server/light use machine?.. and is the heatsink/fan which comes with the processor (retail packs) ok or do you recommend upgrading?

5. Same with cases any ones really worth getting.. noise is not much of an issue as this is not a HTPC!

6. Lastly (honest) for DDR ram what does the numbers PC3200 mean, is this the speed.. does this matter at all or can I buy any DDR Ram?

Clearly I have spent too much time away from desktops :)

Thanks

Matt

12. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,381
    1. SIMMs need to be installed in pairs, but are only normally used on old PC's. DIMMs can be installed in singles and are the most common memory on more up to date PC's.

6. PC3200 etc is the speed the memory runs at. Check the specs of the mobo for compatable RAM.

Mark.

13. mjr600

mjr600

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Matt,

I have just built a Shuttle based around a Pentium IV 2.53, it has 512 meg of 2700 ram a 120gig Maxtor HD, Radeon 9600 Pro graphics card and Sony DVD+/-R.

The Shutle is an SS51-G Version 2, whilst this model has been out for eighteen months or so, it has just recieved an overhaul and will now support the latest HyperThreading Pentiums which run at a FrontSideBus speed of 800mhz.

120gig drives, XP and SP1 are simply not issues and all the cables are included in the pack.

Choose any P4 with a FrontSideBus speed of 533 mhz or if you've got the cash 800mhz. You can match the speed of the ram to the processor in the BIOS, I suggest at least 512 of 2700 memory.

The ICE heatsink/fan/cooler is all included and is a superb bit of technology which is more than up to the task and hush quiet to boot.

The SS51-G Version 2 is available from only £99+vat from www.cclcomputers.biz, just add the CPU, HD and memory and you're away. From what you say you need from it I'd stick with the onboard graphics.

Its a bid sad but Shuttles have a die hard following and if you follow this link you risk the same addiction.

http://forums.sudhian.com/

My sytem overclocks to 2.8 mhz from 2.5mhz with a nominal temperature rise (stands and says 'I am an addict') all in all a well chosen Shuttle is excellent value for money.

14. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    DDR speeds:

To run a PC with a CPU FSB of 400Mhz, you'll ideally want PC2100 or higher.
    To run a PC with a CPU FSB of 533Mhz, you'll ideally want PC2700 or higher.
    To run a PC with a CPU FSB of 800Mhz, you'll ideally want PC3200 or higher.

If you are not intending to overclock the CPU (unnecessary in HTPCs) you should not bother getting higher spec'ed RAM as the extra 'headroom' will not be utilised.