1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

superpixel goes panasonic! (42PE50 1st impressions)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by superpixel, Apr 4, 2005.

1. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Finally went to Powerhouse...Panasonic 42PE30, 42PE50 and Sony KE-P42M1 in a row.

The difference between the old and new Panasonics is NOT incremental or barely noticable, it is dramatic. It is MUCH brighter with deeper, richer, more realistic colours. The old Panasonic looks very faded in comparison (and pushing up the brightness and/or contrast just made the picture horrible). The new Panasonic even puts the Sony into the shade. At the risk of upsetting Panasonic fans, its approaching ALiS territory...you may find it too striking, in fact, and in need of calibration/setting.

The brightness and colours have always been my problem with Panasonics, but no longer. It is the business.

The surround is matt, not gloss black, and as others have complained it doesn't look as stylish as the old Viera, though...and the hi-def panels have only a specified 10% brightness increase versus the 20% of the standard-def... (that 20% looks conservative to the naked eye, I have to say).

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    me wants one now I hate my PW6 :rotfl:

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hmm not rain on your parade but *** leave a PE30 in dynmaic for 6 months then stick an brand new PE50 next to it (in dynamic) and it will look a lot better as the Demo PE30 is nearly dead and well knackered in all likelyhood................go back and enter service menu and compare hours....................................also at home they will look different to show room uber bright lighting..............

4. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    is the PE50 HiDef compatible or is that the PE500 ?

Taz

5. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No need horny, I've seen fresh Panasonics, and I know the old Viera very well. The 'G8 panel' is noticably better - a side-by-side isn't even necessary, its not close.

Taz - the PV500 is the high-def with HDMI, the PE50 is the standard-def.

I'll be ordering some 42PE50s for the bedrooms when prices settle for sure. Those choices are easy now. :)

6. Bengbeng

Bengbeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I had a total opposit experience today. I've compared the Sony KE-P42M1 with the Panny 42PE50 and a Hitachi PD5200 on a normal (digital) broadcasting, and the Sony won hands down in terms of naturalness and sharpness. The first Plasma where I had the feeling with that i was looking at a good crt tube tv.
    Note: only watched a broadcasting, not dvd.

7. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    I havent heard much on the sony but dont samsung make there screen with sony electronics in the back?

8. kingo

kingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have the PE50 and I have to say the picture is superb I spent a month or so comparing models including sony and the PE50 wins hands down, the picture I have with my NTL box is superb even as good as my sony crt that was top of the range 18mnths ago.

I am more than pleased with my purchase and can recommend this Plasma. :thumbsup: