1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Superman The Movie: I get so Emotional Baby...(Contains Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Gorshin, Jun 4, 2004.

1. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ... Everytime I think of youooo...!

Seriously, I cry at this film, especially the bit where Clark and his adopted Mother are alone in the cornfield: 'Allways Remember' :rolleyes:

I also well-up when he saves Louis from the Helicopter accient.

I love this film so much!!!! :thumbsup:

Don't get me started on how good that soundtrack is either!!!! (definitely Williams' best: up there with the Empire Strikes Back)

Any opinions relished! :clap:

2. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I second that, a truly masterful film with great actors, excellent production and one of john williams finest scores, My favourite sequence (& music) is young clarkes journey to earth and the night flight with louis lane - make sure you get the double cd soundtrack as its definitely worth every penny.
    Lets hope that definitive dvd of superman 2 complete with the much publicised deleted scenes is on the cards.

3. BlueOrange25

BlueOrange25

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +310
    Yes, great film even if it doesn't quite make me well up all that much (maybe the bit where Superman finds Lois dead...). Pity about the third and fourth films. I here they're planning on furthering the Spider-Man franchise to a fifth and possibly sixth film :mad: . A great shame when sequels ruin a decent original, and in this case a decent first sequel.

4. WEIRDWOLF

WEIRDWOLF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm with you on this one!

Williams's music is killer....the scene just before they hug on the wheatfield when she stares out at him, knowing, JUST KNOWING GODDAMMITT!! that it's his time to move on. It's subtle but sets me off every time.

Also before that the train chase bit gets the hairs on the back of my neck going.

AND....when Clark is getting the talking to by his dad about 'You are here for a reason' and then drops down dead sets me off as well.

In fact, the whole Smallville bit is just a kind of beautiful representation to me of an idilillic childhood.

It's bizarre how these days films try their hardest to hold your attention with wiz-bang editing and fx and failing when this film holds your attention no matter how many times you see it despite being relatively slow paced.
    That;s down to script, character. music and sheer overall quality.

Also, the frist time Clark unveils himself is just exactly how you think it should be done.

I feel the remake (if it happens) will not even come close.

5. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,071
    i used to be very much into buying the soundtracks of Mr Williams, when he could knock out stuff like this, the mentioned ESB, Raiders etc. If the film had strong themes running through it, so too did Williams music. Superman (and ESB), was made at a time when 'blockbusters' contained not just 'whizz-bangs', but also emotion as well........as did the music that went with them.

Imagine if Mr Williams had been given the LOTR trilogy to do - i'm sure he would have lifted it to even greater hieghts.

Dean

6. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree fully with all the above. I've also got the 2 disc cd soundtrack: An immense piece of work even by William's 70s output. That man's a genious, along with Bernard Herman, Ennio Morricone, Lalo Schifrin, Elmer Bernstein (The Great Escape!) and whoever did the soundtrack to The usual suspects. Oh and Ron Goodwin for the Battle Of Britain soundtrack.

7. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the soundtrack on a double LP picture disc... :thumbsup:

As a point of interest here chaps...I very much doubt it, BUT there may be people here who have never seen this movie...maybe a SPOILER alert wouldn't do any harm... :thumbsup:

An I agree, it is an awesome movie - though I think the second is better and deserves a decent DVD release...

8. WEIRDWOLF

WEIRDWOLF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, Superman 2 needs a decent release...

I feel still that the overall sense of grandeur evident in No.1 gives it more power for me....No.2 is great but a little too frothy and light in parts, usually the bits that Richard Lester directed to finish it off after Richard Donner got the sack (for what?!?!?)

9. ellie666

ellie666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

hmm, quite frankly they don't deserve to be given membership here then :devil:

i totally agree with all the music related comments here,
    btw when they used this soundtrack in "smallville" (the one with Chris Reeve in,) it really was by far the best bit of that (very poor,) take on this franchise....somehow i don't see the "lois & clarke" or "smallville" soundtrack being used in 20 years time.

i still get tingles when they play the track over "superfan" in BBLB5 :p

10. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I agree and disagree! :rolleyes: :)

I think John Williams is without doubt the finest composer of themes in the history of cinema, but I tend to find that all his incidental stuff sounds very much the same - an action piece from Jurassic Park sounds the same as an action piece from Indy or Star Wars, even Harry Potter3 reminded me of Star Wars...

I think that Howard Shore achieved a level of subtley with LOTR that Williams couldn't have achieved...

11. Taz

Taz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

:lesson: Yup, I agree with you there Lex :lesson:

12. Gorshin

Gorshin
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also reckon Hans Zimmer is a master craftsman. His work on Gladiator and espeicially The Thin Red Line is immense.

BTW, The Thin Red Line is a grossly underrated film IMO. I mean GROSSLY UNDERATED :) Saw it in the cinema, better than Private Ryan.

13. Joe Pineapples

Joe Pineapples

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,071
    I also agree and disagree with this Lexx :)

While i think you're right that some of Mr Williams incidental stuff can be a bit samey, i think this is true of a lot of other film composers too. While i would describe the LOTR music as adequate for the film, the music never stayed with me afterwards. A couple of decades on, and i can still remember Leia's & Luke's themes, and others (Marian's -'Raiders') - as you say, he is strong on themes. I would also use the incidental music of Raiders (well of souls, map room) & ESB (everything on Dagobah) as brilliant examples of how different, and subtle Mr Williams can be.

oh sod it, i guess i'm just a big williams fan :laugh:

btw - Is there a cd soundtrack boxset which covers the complete LOTR trilogy? - i might give that a go.

Dean

14. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sory guys, as good as Mr Williams is, I'm afraid there is only one composer worth his salt in Hollywood today...

Ladies & Gentlemen, the one, the only...Mr Daniel Elfman... :cool:

15. WEIRDWOLF

WEIRDWOLF
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Can't agree with you on Elfman, I'm afraid Army Bloke. To me he's just a one trick pony.

Williams' stuff on his early work is absolutely gorgeous. Main themes he was/is best in business and still gives me goosebumps after hundreds of listenings. The way he interwove the themes into the body of the score in subtle, delicate ways was just gorgeous. I feel though that his action music for me has become one-dimensional and he repeats himself a litle too much. Take 'Phantom Menace' soundtrack against Empire Strikes Back and you'll get my gist. I played ESB soundtrack on a long car journey overnight not long ago and I got so into it I could easily have drifted off the road without noticing!!!

I think these days Jerry Goldsmith is more consistently interesting, though he has done fewer big themes than Williams overall.

16. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,154
    I think all composers use part of the music in one film in an other some to a larger extent than others. I think Jery Goldsmith the best composer of film music but even watching films I do not know he has scored for I generally spot his work a mile off.
    Some do seem to over use the same piece of music Jarre and Elffman spring to mind.
    Barry early work was much diversified but recently seems to be very similar. Williams appear to at times to borrow some of his stuff from the classics.

17. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you seen BIG FISH? I had to check the box again to make sure it was danny Elfman who had composed the score...quite unlike anything he's done before...

Hans Zimmer really hacks me off these days...seems to think he just needs to get a woman to wail her head off all the way through the score to make it sound good...ala Troy... :nono: :thumbsdow

18. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I found that the LOTR music definitely stayed with me, but then maybe I have watched the films too many times! :rolleyes: :laugh:

I did hear about a rumoured box set for the LOTR trilogy with music from the extended editions... I am sure there was a thread about it somewhere...

I think you'll find James Horner compsed Troy (or rather he watched Gladiator and copied it!)

19. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    And on the subject of Danny Elfman - the theme he did for Planet of the Apes is absolutely stuning :smashin:

20. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    These scenes are from a gay edition of the movie I take it?

Who'll tell poor LOIS??? :rolleyes:

21. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    She isn't bothered, she's too busy with Kerry White ;) :devil:

22. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You are of course correct... :blush:

23. neil240z

neil240z

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Superman is awesome, loved it for many years and John Williams is a legend though Jerry Goldsmith is fab for his Trek stuff (especially first contact theme)

Big fan of Smallville too, hope they use Tom Welling for the part if they remake the movies and they HAVE to keep the original Williams theme, it just wont be the same if they do some modernised synthesisied garbage!

Have to say the helicopter save is best and the niagra falls save in Superman II also.

Neil